New Fat melting injection called ATX-101.. Will this be the future of nose jobs ?

New Fat melting injection called ATX-101.. Will this be the future of nose jobs ? Also what other technics willing me coming out for future advancements for nose jobs in the future . Less pain more accurate results & better nose jobs ...

Kybella to treat the double chin

Kybella is only FDA approved to treat the submental region, or the double chin. Further research will be ongoing to see other regions of the body for its potential use. Rhinoplasty, or a nosejob, is typically a surgical issue, although can occasionally be treated with fillers in select cases. 

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Uses for Kybella

I am at the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons meeting in Montreal right now and just had a long discussion with the Kybella people. They will reveal the costs in 2 months but it will be comparable to the cost of chin liposuction. They do not have FDA approval or studies for use anywhere else on the face. It will be widely available in July or August. Can't wait!

With the very little fat in the nose, I don't see a use for Kybella in the nose.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

#KybellaNoseJob ?

Dear Access19:

I love it when patients think ahead of the game (one of the reasons I love teaching, my students and residents keep me on my toes for sure)!

The structures that need to be modified in a nose job are cartilage and bone, neither of which are affected at all by deoxycholic acid, the active ingredient of what is now known as #Kybella. Less importantly, the current diffusion characteristics of ATX-101 are such that one would not be able to limit it to relevant areas of fat small enough to sculpt the nose even if fat were the target tissue.

Thanks for your question!

Dr. Clark

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Kybella, also known as ATX-101

Kybella is used for dissolving (melting) fat cells in targeted areas of the body.  It is currently approved for fat beneath the chin, also known as submental fat.  I don't foresee Kybella being approved for use in the nose for rhinoplasty procedures.  Typically in a rhinoplasty the surgeon shapes cartilage and bone in a very precise manner to help achieve the desired results, injecting Kybella would not have the same type of effect and degree of precision.  Thanks for the question. 

Josh Waltzman, MD
Long Beach Plastic Surgeon

Fat Melting and Kybella

Allergan is currently testing new uses for Kybella so in the future we may see other areas injected with Kybella.  However, it is only FDA approved now for injecting the fat under the chin.  Best, Dr. Green

Kybella's use in the nose

Kybella is not used for fat reduction in the nose.  It likely will not be used as it can cause skin ulceration if used to closely to the skin.  Injectable fillers have been used to reshape the nose and "camouflage" some of the troubled areas.

Grant Stevens, MD

Approved Kybella areas

Kybella is not FDA approved for use in the nose – the chin and neck only.It is unlikely that kybella would be used in the nose, but there is a non-surgical alternative to Rhinoplasty surgery – a non-invasive Rhinoplasty.  During this procedure, a filler such as Restylane is injected to reshape the nose.  I hope this helps!

Paul L. Leong, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Facial Plastic Surgeon

No use for Kybella in "nose jobs"

Kybella is an injectable drug that destroys fat.  I can't see how that would be useful in any nose procedure.

Carmen Kavali, MD

No role for Kybella in the nose

ATX-101, or Kybella is only FDA approved for use under the chin at this time. It is unlikely that there will be any application in the nose, as the appearance of the nose has to do with the underlying bony and cartilagenous structures rather than fat. In some cases hyaluronic acid fillers such as Juvederm can be used to alter the appearance of the nose without surgery.

Meghan Nadeau, MD

Surgical Advancements

Dear Access19,

Medicine is reaching a fascinating pinnacle of achievement whereby technological advancements are enabling surgeons and physicians to perform procedures that were otherwise impossible. The development of Kybella is a great example as is my pioneering Platelet Healing Gel which harnesses Platelet Rich Plasmas and my innovation for the Weekend Necklift that utilizes lasers. I imagine that Rhinoplasty will become more efficient by welcoming lasers, perhaps by adopting some of the innovation afforded by Kybella and may even benefit from advancements in 3-D printing technology. Amidst the exciting developments of the 21st century, it is hard to say for certain the advancements we will experience and I am very excited just as you are.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon