Am I a candidate for a Mommy Makeover after massive weight loss, or will I need separate body contouring procedures? (photo)

I have lost 175 pounds with the help of a RNY gastric bypass in 2002. I have also had 3 c-sections. I am 5'8", currently 155 pounds. It is my goal to weigh 140 pounds before surgery. I need to repair my arms, breasts (lift with augmentation), tummy, and thighs. Can these areas all be taken care of in one surgery like the Mommy Makeover, or should I expect to need separate upper and lower body lifts?

Mommy make-over after major weight loss

Congratulations on your weight loss. 
You will need staged surgery.
You can choose the approach but your photo shows you need -
  • extended abdominoplasty and back lift
  • arm lift, lateral chest lift and breast lift with augmentation.
  • probably a vertical and medial thigh lift - at that time touch ups if needed of previous two surgeries
That said, in some women who are as thin as you will be, surgery goes surprisingly quickly.
Your surgical plan can include for instance, the arm lift with body lift - time permitting.

Massive Weight Loss

Dear BeTheUnicorn,
Congratulations on the weight loss, and most of all on keeping it off. A mommy makeover is usually a tummy tuck with some sort of breast work, commonly a breast lift with or without implants done in one day.  When people lose over 100 pounds a tummy tuck alone is not enough as there is laxity all the way around the body and most patients benefit from a belt lipectomy (also called a circumferential body lift).  Given that the surgeries are more involved with this amount of excess skin, the numerous procedures are usually grouped into a few procedures at a time, so it usually takes 2-3 trips to the operating room to reach most patients goals.   As far as which procedures to group together and in which order to do them, depends on your goals and the surgeons comfort or experience in body contouring after massive weight loss. You should see a plastic surgeon to discuss which areas of excess skin you would like to address and what procedures you may benefit from and in which order. I hope this helps and best of luck. 

Weight loss contouring

Dear BeTheUnicorn:  Congratulations on your weight loss.   I think you should consider a circumferential body lift as your first step.  A common first line of attack for patients who have lost weight is a body lift procedure. Most plastic surgeons refer to a body lift as a circumferential body lift = belt lipectomy = lower body lift.   This procedure is essentially 3 procedures in one: extended tummy tuck + waist/lateral thigh lift + buttock lift.  I often perform buttock auto-augmentation at the time of a body lift.  Please visit with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who has extensive experience in body contouring after weight loss to learn more about your options.  

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Mommy Makeover Following Major Weight Loss

Congratulations on your weight loss success! It is best to undergo #MommyMakeover procedures when your weight has been stable for at least one year. 

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. 

In addition to a one-on-one consultations with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measures.  MWL (massive weight loss patients of  75 lbs or more) tend to have poor skin elasticity and will frequently need additional tightening even afte 6 -12 months regardless of who or how their surgery is performed. This is simply the nature of such body tissues and the ability to heal with the lack or limited elasticity. 

Mommy Makeover After Weight Loss in Melbourne, Florida

Mommy Makeover typically refers to any combination of procedures, which are also appropriate for our massive weight patients, which tend to get the patient’s figure back into shape after pregnancy or dramatic weight changes such as your weight loss of 175 pounds. A person with this degree of weight loss typically would benefit from all of the procedures typical for body contouring, including breast surgery, possibly with a lift and/or breast augmentation depending on your preference as to whether you would like to be larger, brachioplasty or arm lift, thigh lift, abdominoplasty with lower body lift, and possibly some liposuction in the areas where you have not lost the last of the lipodystrophy for optimal results. When this number of procedures is recommended, they are typically staged; therefore, you will need to see a board-certified plastic surgeon in order to determine your goals and priorities and then, stage appropriately so that you can best plan. Hopefully this information is helpful to you. Best wishes to you!

Amy Ortega, MD
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

After massive weight loss

Congratulations on your weight loss! Typically when a patient presents with significant excess skin post massive weight loss, staged procedures are indeed required in order to address all the areas of concern you have outlined above. Depending on your primary concerns, you can discuss with your surgeon the best combination of procedures for each surgery and alter your treatment plan accordingly. Typically, these procedures can consist of a breast lift (plus or minus an augmentation), arm lift, fleur de lis lipo-abdominoplasty, lower body lift, inner thigh lift, and possibly additional liposuction if any residual fatty tissues need to be addressed. However, meeting with your board certified plastic surgeon will be important in developing a treatment plan specific to you and your cosmetic goals. 

Several procedures that should be staged

Good for you! You would benefit from many procedures for your arms, breasts, abdomen, thighs, and back. A good ,experienced , board certified plastic surgeon will assist you with these scenarios.

Michael S. Beckenstein, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover

Congrats on the weight loss!  I would recommend performing some of the procedures separately the mommy makeover can be done at one time consisting of the tummy tuck and breast augmentation.

Based upon your photos you are weight appropriate,but have excess loose skin in the breasts and in the abdomen. You look like a good candidated for full breast lift and full tummy tuck and possibly breast augmentation for upper pole fullness.

Only a physical exam by a plastic surgeon can guide you fully

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Am I a candidate for a Mommy Makeover after massive weight loss, or will I need separate body contouring procedures?

It is usually more reasonable to divide the procedures with the tummy tuck/lower body lift performed first.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and body contouring procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Contouring

Thank you for the photos and an examination would be desired. That said many of the procedures that you desire can be done at the same time though separating them may make your overall recovery easier and the amount of time spent on an operating table at one time less to get you to the best result for a Mommy Makeover Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD