What kind of hair loss do I have? (Photo)

What kind of hair loss do I have? I already had thin hair and male pattern baldness, in the years I noticed my hairline & crown is getting a bit thinner. I took Accutane 30mg a day and noticed hair falling out very easily. So I quit Accutane after 39 days. So what kind of hair loss do I have? I think telogen effluvium but when I posted this on reddit, people said it was diffuse hair loss. The hair that falls out has a white bulb. I never had bald spots on top of my head until now. What can I do?

Doctor Answers 5

Diffuse pattern hair loss

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your picture seems to confirm a diffuse hair loss pattern.  This can be due to accutane but other causes should be considered and ruled out.  You should see a hair loss professional as soon as possible and continue to avoid accutane. 

Boston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair loss

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There appears to be a diffuse hair loss not inconsistent with hair loss from accutane which may not be reversible. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Diffuse hair loss

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

While your loss may be from Accutane, I believe you should first check hormones, stress levels and other medical considerations. Then, consider Propecia and Platelet Rich Plasma placed directly under the scalp and by microneedling. This has been very successful. Good luck.

Robert V. Mandraccia, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

What type of hair loss do I have?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

To determine the reason for your hair loss, you need to be evaluated. Yes, telogen effluvium and androgenetic alopecia are likely based on your story but there are many other reasons and these can only be diagnosed properly by listening to your story, examining your scalp and looking at your blood tests. Without all of this thing done (and done properly), one simply can't confidently give you an answer. It's simply a best guess.

Jeff Donovan, MD, PhD
Vancouver Dermatologist

Diffuse Hair Loss

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This does appear to be diffuse hair loss. Please consult with someone who specializes in hair restoration to discuss the best treatment plan for you.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 207 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.