How to Get Rid of Neck Fat?

I'm 22 years old. I often loose and gain weight; but most often loose. How can I get rid of fat on my neck? I have friends that are bigger and dont have a fat neck.

Fat on the neck and chin

good morning thank you for the inquiry

The answer is it may simply be anatomy and genetics. Though some people may be actually somewhat large in stature or overall size their necks may be longer than others in their jaw may project in the lower hanging than others giving them a more defined look despite being a larger person.  some people just have a low hanging hyoid bone that is low and anterior making it difficult to create a well defined jaw, chin and neck. Again, if you don't have a strong projected chin and jaw this works against you as well. In these instances no amount of exercise, weight loss, etc. will change the way that looks significantly. 

given your age laser assisted liposuction (SlimLipo) and possibly a chin implant maybe your best bet.

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Getting rid of neck fat

No non-surgical procedures work other than weight loss.  The 3 surgeries one can have are liposuction, neck lifts, and facelifts.  At 22, I would hope you still have good enough skin elasticity that liposuction alone would work for you. 

Neck Fat, Double Chin

Most young people with excess neck fat will do well with a liposuction procedure.  This can usually be performed through a small incision below the chin which typically leaves a barely noticeable scar.

Paul Carniol, MD
Summit Facial Plastic Surgeon

Multiple Option for Correcting Your Double Chin

Hello and thank-you for sharing your question. Correction of a double chin can be achieved either though a surgical or non-invasive approaches. Liposuction of the chin and neck produces consistently good results for appropriate candidates. We are very excited with the development of several non-invasive techniques for correction of a double chin. We offer the Cool mini as a non-surgical alternative to liposuction for the right candidate. Generally, two treatments are required separated by 4-6 weeks.  We also offer Kybella which is another non-surgical alternative to liposuction. Generally 3-6 treatments are needed separated by 4-6 weeks.  If there is mild to moderate skin laxity, combining the treatment with Ultherapy is an excellent option.  I would visit with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to learn about your options.. Best regards,

Andrew T. Lyos, MD, FACS

Treatment for Neck Fat

Thanks for sharing. Sometimes certain areas of fat will be difficult to remove despite diet and exercise. The submental fat area may be one of these areas. Being only in your 20's you are a candidate for neck liposuction to remove some of this fat. Realize liposuction only removes "skin fat" it does not remove the "deeper fat" Once the fat is removed the skin will contract and tighten up in the areas that are liposuctioned. Older patients, typically 45 or older would likely need a "neck lift" in addition to neck lipo. This would involve a platysmaplasty (tightening the neck muscles) and possibly skin excision.

Newer methods to remove submental fat include Laser Lipolysis and Kybella. Laser lipolysis melts fat and stimulates skin contraction and may be combined with traditional liposuction or is a stand alone procedure. Kybella is a new FDA approved medication that is injected into the submental fat to melt it over time. These injections are repeated.

Raymond E. Lee, MD

Neck Fat: Alternatives

Deposition of fat in the neck and under the chin (submental) is problematic for many patients and does appear to demonstrate some familial genetic patterns.  Fortunately this can be treated with good results and relatively little downtime.  My preference is to do ultrasound assisted liposuction to remove the fat and tighten the skin.  This procedure works best in patients with younger, elastic skin and no platysmal banding.  If excess skin is the issue then a more involved procedure such as a neck/face lift is the better option.

A new injectable alternative will be available perhaps as soon as Fall 2015 pending FDA approval:  ATX-101.  This alternative will be an office infection which will dissolve fat in the neck/submental area.  Again, patients with good skin elasticity will probably benefit most from this noninvasive treatment.  

John Burns, MD

How to get rid of neck fat

There are 2 types of fatty deposits in the neck, and these are sub-platysmal, and sub-mental. The sub-mental fat deposits can be removed with traditional liposuction, however the sub-platysmal fat must be removed with a neck lift. A platysma-plasty is also performed at same time as a neck lift to give further jawline definition. For many examples, please see the link below to our neck lift photo gallery

Neck Fat

Weight loss is the only non surgical option. After your weight is stable, chin liposuction is a good option.

"Dr.D"

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treatment Of Fat Neck?

Unfortunately, it is not possible to give you good advice without direct examination.  Generally, a good candidate for liposuction of the neck and chin area will be a relatively young patient with isolated “excess” adipose tissue  with limited redundant/loose skin.  The quality of overlying skin elasticity is of utmost  importance. In my practice, the majority of patients I see who request the procedure are not good candidates.

You will find many doctors will offer their services to you;  I would suggest consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Treating neck fat

Liposuction is the most definitive treatment for removing fat from the neck.  It can be done with or without laser.  In a young person the skin usually has very good elasticity so has good recoil and snaps back after liposuction.  If there is too much skin then you may also need a neck lift after the liposuction.

M. Christine Lee, MD
Walnut Creek Dermatologic Surgeon