Will scoliosis prevent my breast augmentation from appearing symmetrical? (photos)

Hi. I am 6 days post op. I had severe scoliosis as a teenage and had a spinal fusion to correct it. I still have a slight curve (15 degrees) and wondered if that could affect the outcome of my breast augmentation ? It looks as though one implant may be "dropping" more quickly but now I'm worried my curvy spine could make my new larger breasts appear more uneven than before surgery. Does anyone have experience with this problem ?

Thank you for sharing your story.  You have not yet reached a final post operative result.  Usually with scoliosis, there is a difference in the projection of the chest wall on each side leading to disparity after surgery.  It is unlikely that your breasts will ever be completely symmetrical if you have chest wall disparity.  However, since both silicone gel and saline implants come with different projections for the same base diameter ( roundness) , they can be made to look more symmetrical (even).

Weston Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation - will scoliosis affect my result?

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation and scoliosis.
  • Six days is truly early to judge your final result -
  • You seem to have fairly large implants, and one has as you know, dropped more quickly.
  • This is totally normal - they often drop at different times.
  • A before photo would help to see the asymmetry but chances are the result will be fine.
  • Ask your surgeon when you can do bra-less - gravity often helps pull the implants down.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Effects of mild scoliosis on breast augmentation results

A severe form of scoliosis could have definitely magnified breast asymmetry after breast augmentation, however, because you have mild scoliosis (15 degrees), it should have a very low impact on the outcome of the breast augmentation. Similarly, breast augmentation should not worsen your scoliosis either as implant devices have a relatively low weight.

In general scoliosis and irregular spinal curvature may cause frontal rib-cage asymmetries, nipple asymmetries, changes in the breast skin envelope, and these differences can appear more obvious with breast augmentation, but currently, your breasts have achieved volume symmetry because you only have mild scoliosis.

Your surgeon may have taken any asymmetry into account during the pre-surgical assessment of breast characteristics.

You may feel that scoliosis may cause the implants to drop asymmetrically and at different rates, but it is not uncommon for breasts to heal and adapt to implants at different rates even in patients without scoliosis. You should be ready to accept any asymmetries that existed before surgery as those cannot be corrected with breast augmentation.

According to your pictures, I believe your breasts are coming along really well. Implants initially do sit high up because the chest muscles and surrounding breast tissues have not become accustomed to the implant resulting in tightness. You have to allow gravity to take effect, and overtime, natural tissue expansion will allow the implants to fall into place causing your breasts to appear more natural, softer, and rounder. Once that happens, the implant will sit directly behind the breast tissue in a natural 45:55 breast ratio.

You will reach final results within 3 to 6 months. If the breasts still appear different at that point in time, then you may share your concerns with your surgeon and they should be able to fix the problem.

For now, you should rest, heal, and maintain strict follow-up with your board-certified plastic surgeon to make sure your breasts heal well and remain aesthetically beautiful.

Hope this helps!

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Scoliosis and Breast Augmentation

Good Afternoon! Great question! First of all you should know you can always consult your questions with your plastic surgeon, I'm sure she/he will be happy to help you in the post-surgery care and doubts. It's important to know that scoliosis could affect the final result and symmetry of your breast augmentation, this should be evaluated before your surgery and take into account when estimating size of implants to be placed on each side  . However it's too soon to know as you should wait at least 3 months so see the final position of your breast, by this moment is completely normal that they drop a little.

Rafael Gottenger, MD

Scoliosis affect on BA

Thank you for your question. You are in early phase of healing. Your breasts continue to change in the coming few weeks. The result is going to be fine. Please follow instructions from your PS. 

1 - Six days a WAYY too early especially given the nice results thus far seen in your photos2 - the scoliosis itself is not often much of a factor it is more often any associated chest wall deforminties that are sometime present in my experience3 - No body is exactly symmetric so minor asymmetries are common4 - Your camera-holding arm is elevated in the one photo thus elevating that breast compared to the other which has the arm down at your sideI think it looks like a great result.....so far.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Early breast recovery

Thanks for your inquiry and excellent pictures. Some of the asymmetry you see now is because it is early after surgery and each breast recovers differently.  All pre-existing asymmetry in breast, limb, spine, posture, etc will influence the final result.  As for your final result, only time will tell in 3-6 months.  Please discuss your concern with your plastic surgeon. 

Scolosis can effect how your natural breast sets upon your ribcage and therefore can have an affect on the implant symmetry.  It is too early to determine this in your case.  Follow up with your PS on this matter.

Christopher Costanzo, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Post breast augmentation

At only 6 days it is still early in the healing process after breast augmentation. As the implants soften, settle and drop the breast shape will change along with cleavage. It can take 3-4 months before the implants look and feel like they belong to you. Be sure to keep any scheduled follow up appointments you have for his or her evaluation and advice . Good luck! 

Dean Vistnes,M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francsico Bay Area

#realself #breastaugmentation #drdeanvistnes

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and scoliosis

Thank you for your question. A before photo would help to see the asymmetry, maybe diferent sizes implants could help to minimize the asymmetry. Now your breast appear larger, maybe it isn´t the best form for your breast. Could help you send us the before photos. Sincerily, Dr Jessica Ramirez