2 years ago, Aquafilling gel is injected into my both breasts. The aesthetician is my relative, so I trusted him!

Then, I learnt that the filler is not safe. 1 year after, I met my surgeon. He took the filler out as much as he could and put implants under the muscle. My ultrasound results are normal. There is no lump, cancer, etc. I know the filler may cause many problems in the future. Should I get another surgery and try to get rid of the filler left? Or should I wait and go for routine examination? Thank you

Filler in breasts

I wouldn't recommend getting the filler removed if it isn't causing you any concerns.
There is more risk with surgery.
Of course if the filler bothers you and is hard and lumpy, then you will need surgery, but for the time being monitor it.Good luck

Aquafilling Gel

Hello there This product is not licensed to be used in the breast in Australia .However removing it may cause more harm than leaving it there . I would trust the advice of your surgeon and keep an eye on things with ultrasound every couple of years .CheersTS

Terrence Scamp, MBBS, FRACS
Gold Coast Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. To remove the remainder of the product, you will have to undergo invasive surgery. It depends how you feel about your situation. Perhaps schedule a consult with a plastic surgeon, be seen in person and discuss your options. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast augmentation - getting rid of Aquafilling gel

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation and Aqaufil.
  • I am so sorry this happened to you. 
  • In the USA Aquafil is not FDA approved - because it is not safe.
  • This is a Chinese/Czech product distributed in Asia and Europe.
  • You seem to have a very thoughtful and responsbile plastic surgeon to advise you.
  • To get rid of all the Aquafil, you would probably need a mastectomy - a lot of surgery if you don't need it.
  • What about asking your surgeon and regular doctor about being followed with 3D mammograms - at least here in the USA, these are not expensive, have a lower dose of radiation and view the breast like a CT scan so early changes can be detected.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

You will need to rely on the advice of your surgeon

In the US we don't use Aquafilling gel as it is not approved for use, so my comments will be based on my general surgical experience and what I know of Aquafilling.  The gel is not a permanent implant, thus at some point it is expected to absorb or be gone.  It is approved for injection into the breast in Europe and Asia, so at least you know that there has been some experience with its use and most of that experience has been uneventful.  From what you have reported here, you have had the majority of the gel removed surgically, a reconstruction performed with an implant, and you now have a normal clinical examination and normal ultrasounds.  It is very difficult to advise you specifically, as your surgeon is the one who both did your other surgery and can evaluate you now in person.  However, you must consider that at this point, the option to return to surgery and try to get out every last bit of an essentially long-term temporary filler, which may not cause any further problems before it's totally gone, may be more destructive and lead you down a much greater reconstructive path than simply following up with close monitoring and maybe repeat ultrasound or MRI studies every so often to detect any problems that may arise from residual filler.  In some instances in which ladies have had things like silicone oil injected into their breasts, attempts to remove all of the substance completely have essentially amounted to mastectomy, with all of the reconstructive requirements that then follow that.  This is a judgment call, and it must be an informed decision between you and your surgeon.  Can you have peace of mind simply watching things for awhile longer with close follow up, or if not, is your peace of mind more important than the potential for destructive surgery followed by a more major reconstructive effort?  That kind of thing is a personal decision for each lady to make, and there is no "right" or "wrong" answer.  My advice is for you to sit down with your surgeon and have a very frank and detailed discussion about all hypothetical scenarios and all foreseeable options to deal with those.  Then you have to look into your own heart with that information in mind and decide which path makes you most comfortable.  And most importantly, don't beat yourself up about your decision to have the injections in the first place.  You made a decision that you thought would be good for you based on information that you were given by someone you trusted.  These things happen, it means nothing about you other than you want to look your best and have the best for yourself, and I think that's OK.  Move on now, get good advice to make rational, unemotional decisions, and start the next chapter of your life.  Best of luck!