295cc or 310? I'm 5'5 120 lbs and pretty petite. (photo)

My doctor recommended between 270cc and 310. I'm wondering if 310 would look to large on me? We talked about the incision being under the breast and the implant under the muscle. I'm worried about the breasts having a gap if I go too small or looking too big for my body but most of the women I see post wish they have gone bigger if they regret anything. And what profile? I'm really nervous

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  When it comes to selecting the size of a breast implant, for there to be any real significant and noticable difference, there must be at least 100 cc's difference.With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

295cc or 310? I'm 5'5 120 lbs and pretty petite.

Thank you for your question. Based on your photos, you appear to have a nice starting place and should have a nice result with breast augmentation surgery.Thankfully, the 15cc difference between the two implants is only about a tablespoon of volume. Assuming that both implants fit within your natural breast footprint (determined by measurements), then you should do well with either implant. I tend to prefer moderate profile,  or moderate plus, implants as I'm concerned that high profile implants can place too much pressure on the breast tissue, causing it to thin out with time.The most important factor when sizing implants, is working closely with your surgeon in person to find the implant size that gives you the look that you desire. Careful measurements of your breast and chest wall will help determine which size implants will fit within your natural breast footprint. Taking into account your desired look, and your measurements, an implant is chosen that specifically fits your body. Unfortunately, online recommendations are not that helpful. Make sure that you have a good relationship with your plastic surgeon, so that you two can work together to find the right size. In my office, patients try on implants in a bra and clothing. There able to see how they look in the mirror, and in photographs. Women are also encouraged to bring in wish pictures, so that I can get a sense of the look that they would like to achieve. Good luck with the process!

Thank you for your pictures and questions. Let me first say that all you need to do is take a deep breath and relax. If you have narrowed it down to those two choices, then you are going to do fine and be happy with either. You look like a good candidate for surgery and you should have a nice result. When you really think about it, the 15 cc of volume you are debating is 0.5 ounces, less than 5% of the volume of the implant.....such a small amount. In the end, it will not change the result that much. That being said, I would tell you that if both of the implants fit your chest measurements and are options for you, go with the larger implant. Patients almost never come back complaining they went "too big."As for profile, it depends on what look you are going for. I would choose the implant size that you want (295-310 cc) and choose a profile in that size range that maximizes the width of your chest. This will give you the best result. I think someone with your small frame and chest size is going to be well served with a moderate or moderate plus implant profile, but I would need your measurements to offer further advice on that. Best of luck!

295cc or 310? I'm 5'5' 120 lbs and pretty petite.

Thank you for your question. If you are deciding between a 295cc and 310cc there is minimal difference, 15cc. There will be a slight difference between the 2. Speak with your surgeon if you have any reservations. Best, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Size Options

Thank you for your question and photos. It sounds as though your size options are very similar- moderate profile implants with slightly varying widths. Your Plastic Surgeon will have determined implant size according to your pre-surgery body measurements to help achieve harmonious proportions for a more natural-looking result. The volume difference is not large and many patients do find that they seem smaller once implanted/healed. My patients find it helpful to try on implant sizers with a form fitting T-Shirt in the office in order to get an idea of how they will look.
All the best

The implant volume (and just as important is the implant profile) can only be determined after an examination. The 15cc difference between 295 and 310 is one tablespoon and about 1/10 of a bra cup size on you so of little consequence.  

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question. The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.   Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness). Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion. Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume. These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak. During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Implant size

The best way to pick implant size is based on your breast and chest width and not the volume. As the implants get bigger, they get wider. When the width of the implant fits the width of your chest, it will look nice and fit your frame. If the implants are too small, you will have a gap between them and they may look too far apart. If they are too wide, they will make you look top heavy as they may be too wide and stick well out past the sides of your chest. There are ways to get a bigger or smaller look.This can be done by picking a different implant profile. The higher the profile, the narrower the base width of the implant. If someone has a very narrow chest and wants to be big, they should consider a higher profile implant. If someone has a broad chest and they do not want to be too big but want to avoid the gap and still have cleavage without projection, they should consider a lower profile implant such as a moderate. There are options in between these such as the moderate plus. I prefer the underarm approach so there is no scar on your breast. The new silicone is the only way to go as far a rippling as the new silicone ripples much less than saline, especially in the larger implants.

Dr Ennis