Im on my 4th Week Post Tummy Tuck and Lipo. is It Normal to Still Walk a Little Hunched?

my right hip feels tight , and hard for me to stand straight, will massaging it help? the incision looks closed, but can it still open or stretch if i try to walk straight?

Tummy tuck recovery

After a tummy tuck it is often best to stay flexed at the waist in order to protect the incisions for the first few days.  By the end of the first week I have my patients work on standing upright and moving around as normal.  An easy way to work on this is to lay flat on the floor with your knees flexed and then slowly straighten your legs.  Initially it isn't easy but after a few days of working on standing up straight the muscles and skin of the abdomen relax and allow normal activity and posture.  The lower back often aches for the first week and this goes away once normal posture is restored.  By 4 weeks your incisions should be well healed and will tolerate the extra tension when you stand upright.  It is important to work on this so that you get back to normal.  Of course you should always consult with your physician the recovery plan for you surgery

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

4th Week Post Tummy Tuck

By this time you should be able to stand straight, and your incisions should be strong enough to tolerate normal posture. 

Sometimes it is not the skin tightness but spasm in the trunk muscles that cause the problem. Often this can be overcome by leaning back against the wall near something you can hold onto, and then using your legs, rather than your back to straighten. You may find this much easier to do than you expect. Try this every few hours for a day or two, and often the problem is gone.

Thanks and best wishes. 

Healing After a Mommy Makeover or Tummy Tuck

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.   

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain.
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Walking upright after tummy tuck

Most patients start walking more upright at 7-10 days after surgery, although there still may be a feeling of tightness for 4-6 weeks. You should be able to perform stretching exercises without concern of compromising your results at this point. Every patient responds slightly different to surgery and I would suggest that you are a little on the slow side of returning to normal activities. Massaging may help, but stretching exercises will be more effective. 

Wm. Todd Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Walking hunched after tummy tuck

Thank you for your question. It is not uncommon to hav e some tightness after a tummy tuck that can last for a variable amount of time. By 4 weeks, people are typically able to walk fully upright, but usually do have a feeling of tightness of their belly. Your incisions at this point should be sufficiently healed to tolerate this.

Trying to gradually straighten your back as you walk should help. I would suggest being seen by your plastic surgeon if there are any questions, as they have a better idea of the scope of the surgery and can also examine your healing.

Best of luck with your continued recovery and enjoy your new belly.

Jeff Rockmore

TIghtness after tummy tuck and liposuction

At four weeks after surgery it is not unusual to have some tightness. If you have concerns touch base with your surgeon.

Hello

At 4 weeks post-surgery you should be walking straight up. If you’re feeling tightness you need to do it gradually little by little. Feeling your skin tight is normal after a tummy tuck it takes 6-9 months for the muscle and skin to relax you can message the area to loosen the scar tissue.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS (in memoriam)

Standing straight after tummy tuck

Usually, most patients are in a bent over position for the first week after a tummy tuck.  After one week, they can start to stand upright.  For some patients, getting fully upright can take some time.  By 4 weeks, your incision is well-healed and is strong enough to tolerate standing straight.

Naveen Setty, MD

4 week post tummy tuck

• It is very common to stay bent at the waist for the first week or so
  • Most patients are able to stand up straight after the first week
  • The healing areas should be strong enough to tolerate standing straight
  • You should be OK to start working on stretching and increasing your range of movement 

James Shaw, MD
Wichita Plastic Surgeon

Activity after Tummy Tuck Surgery; Walking Straight?

Congratulations on having undergone the tummy tuck.

You will be much better off receiving advice from your plastic surgeon, as opposed to online consultants who do not know you or the details of the operation performed. Furthermore, none of us can know exactly how you are healing.  Remember, your plastic surgeon is ultimately responsible for your care.