Hairline Has Started to Recede and Would Like a Small Hair Transplant. Is There Minimun Amount Done? How Much?

My Hairlline Has Started to Go Back and Would Like a Small Hair Transplant, is There a Minimum Amount They Do?if So How Much?

Donor Harvest Minimum and Cost for Hairline Restoration?

Hair transplants can restore just the temple points on an otherwise full head of hair, or restore an entirely balding crown and receding hairline. Thus, donor harvest can range anywhere from a few hundred grafts to several thousand, depending on the patient’s need. Cost also varies per surgeon and technique. We generally charge per graft and prices can range from $5 per graft to $12 per graft. At my clinic, an exclusive practice of FUE uGraft, we charge $8 per graft. Best of luck to you.

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Early hairline recession

You want to make sure that if you are now receding, what is going to happen to you tomrorow and the next month and the next year. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hairline Receding

We have performed procedures to scars with as little as 50-100 grafts all the way up to 3000 grafts in a day.  The price typically is determined by how many grafts are extracted.  Prices can range from $4-$7 per graft.  A small hair transplant for early recession is commonly 1000 grafts.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Hairline Recession and Hair Transplant

It would be rare to do less than 1000 grafts although that seems like a lot.  Just adjusting a hairline alone can consume a fairly large number of grafts.  A ballpark estimate is $6-$8,000 depending on the number of grafts. 

Jack Fisher, MD

Receding hairline and hair restoration surgery

If you are under 35 and have a noticeably receding hairline, there really is no minimal amount of work to consider. You will be committing yourself to more procedures over the years in order to look good. Balding does not stop with the first visit to the hair surgeon. You should be evaluated by a specialist in hair restoration surgery and be informed of all your options including doing nothing. Early hair restoration surgery can be considered as long as there are realistic expectations. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hairline recession and hair transplants vs. the Fleming-Mayer Flap.

Hairline recession and hair transplants vs. the Fleming-Mayer Flap. It isn't over til it is over!!!! Look at Clint Eastwood in his youth and nonw. Grafts placed in the front will show as you recede more. So with either method, you need to know what your FINAL balding will be. Do not start either method until you understand both.

Hairline recession

Now is the time for you to go for a free, in-person consultation with a hair restoration surgeon.  At that time, you can go over all of your options, both medical and surgical.  Minimum amounts vary by practice, so it will be hard for you to get an answer online like this.  If your main concern is working within your budget, please say so up front.  No one really wants to talk you into more than you need.  Having said that, you may not realize how much loss you have had or why we oftentimes do more grafts in preparation for hair loss to follow.  All of this can be explained much more thoroughly in your consultation.  

Allan J. Parungao, MD

How Many Grafts is the Minimum for Hair Transplant

Hi and thanks for your question.  There is no absolute number, but 500 grafts would be a typical small procedure.  My standard price per graft for Smartgraft which is the latest, best device for hair transplantation is $8per graft.  I am currently offering a 37.5% discount making the price per graft to be $5.  

Jonathan Pontell, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

How much for a "small" hair transplant?

I don't have a minimum number of grafts to transplant, but I do have a minimum fee of $5000, as we still have to devote our surgical room and team to the procedure. A slightly thinning hairline can be helped with as few as 800 grafts, but generally 1200 or more are needed for this area. We don't charge by the graft, but our fees end up averaging $5-6 per graft.

Robert Haber, MD
Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon

New Hair

This is difficult to answer. In my experience, the minimum transplant to lower hairline is 800 grafts.  Most of these type of procedures will require 1,500 grafts or more.  However, there are always exceptions.

Tim Neavin, MD