Why my Frown Lines Are Still There After One Week of my Botox Injection?

I'm 29 years old and I've had my first botox injection a week ago. I can't frown anymore but my frown lines are still there! should I repeat botox with higher amount?

Lines in frown area after Botox are called "etched in" or static lines and are not treatable with Botox

If you stretch the skin in the frown area and still see lines, they will still be there after Botox.  These are called "etched in" lines and can be considered almost like scar tissue.  They will gradually improve over time with additional treatments of Botox, but probably won't go completely away.  Belotero can be used there, but my preference is to just have routine Botox injections.  You got a good treatment because you say you can't move the area at this point.

Lines are still there after Botox

Botox works on dynamic lines, but it doesn't totally erase static lines. This means that like you've said, you can't move the muscle anymore, but you may still have some of the lines because they were already etched in there pretty well. Over time, these static lines will soften too, but it takes time.

You have to remember that botox doesn't fix the creases.  Botox fixes the cause of the crease.  Once you eliminate the cause, the skin will heal and crease will gradually soften and disappear.  This could take a few weeks or a couple of months depending on how deep the creases are to start with.  Be sure to keep up with your botox every 3-4 months to maintain the improvement.  You're going to love it.

Peter J. Jenkin, MD, FAAD, FRCPC
Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

Frown Lines After Botox

Botox relaxes the muscles, but does not erase existing wrinkles. Try to do your next treatment soon to when it wears off. Start working on your skin care (retinols, exfoliation, hyrolonic acid, etc.) If lines persist, a filler may be ideal.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

When do frown lines disappear after Botox?

Botox paralyzes  your corrugator muscles so you can not frown any more.  This lasts 3 + months.  The lines have been forming for 29 years so the forehead needs to be quiescent for possibly a year before the actual lines go (if they go at all completely).  Once paralyzed the lines do not deepen and do gradually recede.   Some deep lines require treatment with a filler such as Juvederm.  This is perfectly safe if done properly.  So you must be patient.  The Botox experience is a learning process between plastic surgeon and  patient.  Botox perfection can be tricky and I prefer to do all treatments myself.  This allow me to explain all to patients as I do the treatments.   It seems you did not have a clear discussion of the Botox experience.  Once paralyzed,  more botox is not going to do anything and it does not last longer.  There is a correct dose.  For females the frown is usually corrected with 15 to 25 units per treatment.   Males with deep frown muscles may take 25 to 50 units per treatment.   Go to the same MD all the time so he or she learns your forehead.  Everyone is different.   Botox is wonderful so be patient and rewards will come.  My Best,   Dr C

Frown lines after botox

The lines themselves may need completely efface but over time using repeated treatment they may.  Often there is dermal deficiency and fat atophy below the lines. These can sometimes be softened with fillers.

Why the frown lines are still there after Botox

These stubborn lines are called static lines because they have become "etched" into the skin due to years of repetitive muscle activity. In my experience, these lines will disappear over time if you keep the area tightly controlled with frequent Botox injections at appropriate doses. This typically means injecting the area every three to four months to keep the muscles as quiet as possible. I typically reserve the combination of Botox with filler injections for deeper lines or for someone who is in a hurry for the lines to disappear for a special event.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

One week after botox - lines still visible.

It is still early. I often see the best improvement between 7 and 14 days after injection. The lines may however require more time (and injections) to soften.

Dominic Bray, MBBS, FRCS
London Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and frown lines

Even though you've had treatment with Botox and it's working, those static lines took time to form, and will take time to soften. Regular treatments with Botox (every 3-4 months) will gradually help soften those static lines.

Sam Naficy, MD, FACS

Frown line options

Thank you for your question. The frown lines between the brows can be address two different ways:
1) Botox or Dysport can be used to soften the deepening of the frown lines when making a frown expression. The treatment may even soften the lines that are present at rest. The effects typically last 3-4 months depending on the dose. I generally use between 15-40 units of Botox (30-120 units of Dysport) in the frown area depending on the strength of the muscle and the degree of frown reduction we are trying to achieve.
2) Restylane or Juvederm can be used to soften the frown lines that are present even when you don't make an expression. This can last for a year or more when used in conjuction with Botox.
For someone who has concerns with both the static lines (without expression) and the dynamic lines (with expression), then using both products would work well together.
I often find that patients who return after a Botox or Dysport treatment in the frown areas complaining it didn't work, is due to the confusion between the static and dynamic frown lines. They continue to see the static lines even though the dynamic lines have softened considerably.