My flanks are uneven after lipo. Will they even out?

I had smart lipo on my flanks chest abs and pubic region. It's been one week and everything looks pretty good except my flanks. They seem uneven. My right side is looking flat while there is still a bit of aril on the left. Is it possible that they will even out? It's pretty obvious to me they are uneven. If not, what can be done? Thanks for your help.

Concerns one week post Smart Lipo

At just one week post Smart lipo, it is not unusual to feel that the areas of liposuction may seem uneven.  You are still swollen and may have some bruising which will resolve over the next several weeks.  Be certain to wear your compression garment and make sure to straighten it if it becomes kinked.  Also, using a moisturizer and and doing some gentle massaging will help resolve the swelling and smooth the contour.  Best wishes.

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Uneven results after Smartlipo

It is too early to evaluate. Swelling is still very present after one week. It is too soon to worry about the appearance. Wait until the swelling goes down and then evaluate. Your surgeon will help you know when that is. If there is residual fat, more can always be removed. Don't drive yourself crazy after one week. There is a lot of change still to come.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry

Did you have an asymmetry before surgery? More loose skin on the left side? Those are things to look back at your pre op pictures and think about. That being said, anything you see at 1 week after a liposuction case is going to change as you are still going to be quite swollen. Let your doctor examine you at your next follow up, he or she will be able to best advise you.

You will see results when swelling resides

After your Smartlipo procedure you may feel as though your flanks are uneven but you are still swollen. This swelling will eventually go away, wear your compression garment to help with any swelling that may occur. As this goes away you will notice a contour in your flanks. If at 6 months you still feel uneven follow up with your surgeon for a possible touch up procedure.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Liposuction swelling and symmetry

I typically tell my patients that they will start seeing results 4-6 weeks post surgery. After two weeks, you are likely still swollen. You can also start massaging the areas treated to help any residual swelling. Small circular motions to start and massage deeper if it you don't have any discomfort.

Marwan R. Khalifeh, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon