Are my Breasts Fully Developed?

I just turned 18 last week and I want to get breast implants. The thing I'm concerned about is that I'm not sure if my breasts are fully developed. I started my period when I was 12 and I haven't really grown height wise or breast wise since I was 16. I don't want to schedule a consultation until I'm sure I'm fully developed so It won't be a waste of time. Is it possible to say what the characteristics of a fully developed breast are? Sorry I know it's hard to answer. Thank you for your help :)

Breast Development

Although breast growth varies from patient to patient, it generally stops between 16 and 20 years of age. Even though growth stops, the breasts continue to undergo changes for the remainder of a woman's life. This is effected by weight gain , pregnancy, lactation and gravity.

Since you haven't experienced breast growth since you were sixteen, it's probably reasonable to consult a plastic surgeon for breast augmentation. At this point, your breast size is probably stable.

Breast Development

In general, female breasts stop developing at around 18 or 19 years old. This is when a primary level of maturity is achieved, however further changes occur with pregnancy and lactation (the production of breast milk). Your breasts will continue to change throughout your life, as the signs of aging become more apparent. For example, your breasts may begin to droop as supportive tissues weaken, or grow larger when you gain weight. Sagging is common after childbirth. For this reason, if you are planning to have a child soon, it's best to wait until after to proceed with breast augmentation.

Breasts Fully Developed? #breastimplants

Usually at your age breasts are fully developed, but can go through many changes that affect shape and size. At your age legally and developmentally you are a candidate to make this decision on your own with the support of a board certified plastic surgeon by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Find someone you trust and make an appointment to discuss your questions.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Breasts fully developed?

Usually by 18 most young women are fully developed. Certainly with age and weight fluctuation the size may change.

Breasts Developement

The question you are asking (are your breasts fully developed) is a question we constantly answer during consultations for breast reduction. The rule of thumb is that if your breast size has remained unchanged for one year or more, you can expect that breast growth has stopped. I agree with the other plastic surgeons that have responded to you. It is reasonable for you to proceed with a breast augmentation consultation at this time.

Robert J. Mirabile, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast development

Hi

I would say that your breast are fully developed at 18, if they have not changed in size in the last couple of years.  Your breast will however increase and decrease in size as you put on or lose weight or during your menstrual cycle.

Regards

Stephen Salerno

Are my Breasts Fully Developed?

Yes, in agreement with other responders, your breasts are fully developed but change during your adult life in response to weight and hormone fluctuations, most notably during pregnancy, lactation, and afterward.  If size of breasts are a hangup, go for consultation(s).  Augmentation, if performed by a qualified surgeon who properly selects and prepares you, may be the best investment you ever make.

Steve Laverson, MD

When Are Breasts Fully Developed?

An age of 18 years is the minimum required to get breast augmentation.  This is partially for legal reasons but also since the breasts are usually fully developed at that age.  Further growth may occur after that with pregnancy, weight gain or hormone use.  Since you reached puberty at age 12 and have not noticed any further growth in the past two years, it is generally accepted that you are fully developed.  The initial results from implants at this time might be quite tight but should loosen up over time as your muscles and skin stretches over the new implants.

Age of full breast development

Generally, if your breasts have not increased in size in the past two years, we would consider you fully developed. However, breast size is related to weight and hormonal influences, as opposed to your height which will remain constant. For example, oral contraceptives or pregnancy will change the size of the breasts and this is something to keep in consideration as you contemplate surgery.

Are my breasts fully developed.

It's most likely from what you say that they are. I usually advise young women not to consider augmentation until they are sure there has been no further development of their breast and no increase in height for a minimum of two years. You are unlikely to see significant enlargement of your breasts unless you gain several pounds or become pregnant. If you feel breast implants would be a positive thing in your life, I see no reason you cannot have the procedure and enjoy the positive changes while you are still young. If there is a likely marriage and children in your near future you might see some advantages to waiting until after you've finished getting pregnant and evaluate the condition and satisfaction with your breasts at that time. It sounds like you are a good candidate for the procedure.

Joseph Hayhurst, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon