Does Juvederm have long-term side effects? Is it easy to dissolve if you're not happy with results?

What are Juvederma long term side effects and is it easy to dissolve if not happy with results? It been 48 hours from my appointment, I had a small amount of juvederma on nose to see if it helps bulbousness or does any good for shaping as suggested by doctor, unsure whether it's volume or swelling, and also the doctor has suggested to inject little bit in cheeks after 10 days? Is it completely safe? Please advice

Juvederm Side Effects

Juvederm is a hyaluronic acid filler and lasts 6-12 months. Some side effects include bruising, swelling, redness, nodules and infection. If you are unhappy with your results it can be reversed with hyaluronidase.

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Hi there. Juvederm has no long term side effects that we are aware of. It is extremely easy to dissolve. I recommend you seek the help of a board certified dermatologist that has experience with dissolving Juvederm. I personally use hyelenex, that is one I feel works extremely well. You can not have any doctor do this for you, it is very important you understand this.  Also you cannot be allergic to bee venom. Good Luck. Dr. Downie

Jeanine B. Downie, MD
Montclair Dermatologic Surgeon

Does Juvederm have long-term side effects?

Juvederm is a popular hyaluronic acid filler that lasts approximately 6 -9 months and is safe to inject into the cheeks. The side effects associated with Juvederm are mostly all short term - possible swelling and bruising of the injection site as well as lumps and bumps. If you find that you are not happy with the way it looks, the good thing about Juvederm and all hyaluronic acid fillers is that they can be dissolved with a product called Hyaluronidase.

Neil Sadick, MD

Juvederm is safe and can be dissolved if needed

Juvederm, a hyaluronic acid filler, is a very safe product that is compatible with skin.  It works well, looks good and is safest however when injected by a specialist, such as a cosmetic dermatologist or a plastic surgeon or facial/ocular plastic surgeon who does a lot of injections (not just surgeries.)  If necessary, Juvederm can be dissolved with hyaluronidase.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm is safe and can be dissolved

Juvederm is one of the most popular fillers world wide. It is very safe. However, to place in the nose to correct a bulbous tip I have doubts. Only surgery can make the nose smaller. It can be used in the cheeks but there are better options for this. It takes about 10 days to settle down. So wait that amount of time before deciding whether to remove the filler.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Juvederm safety

Juvederm and other filler injections have been performed for over 20 years without any long term sequelae related to the product itself.  In the short term, there can be bruising, swelling, tenderness, lumps and bumps.  In rare cases, fillers can create a granuloma or hard nodule that persists.  Other complications such as compression of a vein or artery are potential complications of anything injected into the face.  Seek out an expert and don't be afraid to ask questions.  Best of luck.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm Side Effects

Hi there, short of swelling, bruising, and injection site irritation - there aren't many side effects of Juvederm. Typically, we see Juvederm Ultra last around nine to twelve months, depending on injection site and the amount of movement where the product is placed. If you are unhappy with the results, you can always have hyaluronidase injected, which will dissolve the product. I  recommend waiting at least ten days for the product to set before making any decisions to dissolve it, after all - you made an investment with hopes of good results.

Justin Harper, MD
Columbus Physician

Hello, and thanks for your question. Juvederm typically lasts 6-12 months.  Long-lasting side effects are exceedingly rare. Juvederm can be dissolved with injection of an enzyme called hyaluronidase. In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with an expert. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm - How long does it last?

Thank you for your inquiry. Juvederm typically lasts 9 -12 months. On areas of the face that don't have a lot of movement such as the nose (in your case) the product may last even longer, up to 15 months. If you do not like the effects the product it can be easily dissolved with an enzyme called Hyaluronidase. If your doctor suggested to use the Juvederm in your cheeks, it is definitely safe to do so. Be sure to always see a board certified plastic surgeon. Regards, 

Juvederm will last up to a year to help give fullness. An enzyme is available to remove most of the filler if you choose not to keep it. Long term side effects are minimal, except for the expected filling.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon