I had a Tummy Tuck 13 days ago. How long do I keep sleeping in a reclining position? I'm getting tired of sleeping like this.

I am very restless and can't seem to get comfortable. Is there any other comfortable ways I can sleep?

Protecting your tummy tuck

If you can stand straight up when walking, you can sleep flat in your bed... if you cannot stand straight up, then you still have to protect your incision with a recliner or something in bed to keep your hips flexed and chest elevated.

Sleeping position

Thank you for the question and every surgeon has his own protocal see speak to you surgeon and find out what he recommends as he knows best where you are at in your recovery.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Positioning after tummy tuck

I tell my patients that they will need to sleep either in a recliner or in a bed with pillows for two weeks. After this time, they are instructed to walk more upright and gradually work on sleeping flatter over the course of the subsequent 4 weeks. Each surgeon has their own protocol, so make sure you talk to him or her first about it.

Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Each surgeon has their own post operative protocols. I recommend patients sleep in a reclining position for the weeks followed by back sleeping for the remaining 3 weeks. You should address this question with your surgeon.

regards,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Tummy Tuck and Reclining

I generally have my patients sleep in a recliner position for the first 10-14 days.  After that they can sleep with less of an incline.

I would recommend discussing this with your plastic surgeon as every surgeon has a different recipe for their post op recovery.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Reclining position after TT

This reclining position will keep off tension on the site of the incision.   I recommend my patients to sleep this way for the first two weeks.  Ask your PS about this issue. 

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Sleeping After a Tummy Tuck

After someone has had a surgical procedure on this forum and has a question, my first suggestion is, "Have you asked your plastic surgeon?"  Every plastic surgeon has their protocol after surgery to help their patients recover in what they believe to be the safest and fastest manner possible.  Most of us are glad to discuss why we make the recommendations we do.

In my practice, I feel very comfortable in allowing my patients to sleep in whatever position they feel gives them the best night sleep possible after surgery.  For many tummy tuck patients, they are comfortable laying on their side curled up with some pillows to pad the pressure points.  Still before you proceed, give your plastic surgeon's office a call.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping position after a tummy tuck

You should definitely check with your own plastic surgeon about this. We all have a different approach to things. For my patients, I allow them to sleep in any position they want after one week. Even then, it is still hard for many patients to find a comfortable position.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon