Two hour drive after breast augmentation?

My dad is taking me to surgery we are staying in a hotel because the surgery is very early we have to be there at 6am. If everything goes well during surgery and recovery is it OK to ride in the car for 2 hours?

If your breast augmentation goes smoothly, there should not be a problem riding in the car for two hours. As with any surgery, your plastic surgeon should go over potential complications including pain, bleeding, and infection. If these were to occur, you will need go back to the hospital so that you surgeon can address any complications.

Do not drive home after surgery

For my patients who live greater than 45 minutes away we ask them to stay in hotel the night of the surgery.  First the drive itself after you have just had anesthesia will be unpleasant.  Your risk for DVT is high.  If something goes wrong in the first 24 hours you will be 2 hours away from your surgeon.  We see all of our patients at day 1.  So no, I would not drive home after surgery.

2 hour drive after BA Surgery

Thank you for your question and best of luck with your surgery :)
It is best to stay in close contact with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon especially during the peri-operative period. A 2-hour car ride should be fine, and be sure to walk some on breaks and stretch your legs to keep your blood circulating.

Benjamin J. Cousins M.D.

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

To our car right after breast augmentation.

There will be no jeopardy created by a ride in the automobile although after surgery you might be a bit uncomfortable. Make certain that it's okay with your surgeon before proceeding.

The concern with a 2 hour ride is a small chance of hematoma.

I would not be so concerned about the ride but with a breast augmentation, there is always a very small chance of developing a hematoma (or bleeding) during the first 24 hours. Although I've only had one in 12 years of practice, it is an emergency and you might want to be a little closer to your surgeon. Consider staying at a hotel for the first night.

David Rankin, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Drive home

Two hours should be fine for you to ride home after surgery. Usually you will get medication in your iv to help with pain and nausea these last a few hours so your ride home should be pretty comfortable 

David R. Alfonso, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Two hour drive after breast augmentation

It is ok to ride in the car for 2 hours after breast augmentation surgery.  Longer car rides should be interrupted by stopping and ambulating to avoid possibly developing a blood clot, but a 2 hour car ride should be ok.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Two hour drive after BA.

A two hour drive after surgery should not be a problem.  If it is going to be more than two hours, then you should stop along the way to get out and walk around for about 10-15 minutes every 90-120 minutes to decrease the risk of DVT's (blood clots in the legs) after anesthesia and surgery.  

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Car ride after plastic surgery, is it safe?

I routinely have patients driving 1 to 2 hours following breast augmentation and other procedures and have not had issues.  This reflects my experience and comfort level and the great outcomes without complications.  If you are doing well in recovery with no issues, then you can either sit in a car or in a local hotel for two hours.  I would recommend getting out of the car a few times to stretch your legs on your way home.

BUT: You will need to talk with your plastic surgeon about this as he/she would have the final say on this based on their experience and preferences.

2 hour drive

Thank you for your question. Although most PS would like their out of town patients to spend at least 1 night in town after their surgery, a 2 hour drive should not be a problem. Best of luck