Crunchy feeling after breast aug. Is it normal? (Photo)

My suregon just called to check up, super sweet guy but I was drowsy and didn't think to ask... If I do light streching like extend my arms out and put my hands together in front of my chest I get a crunchy crackling feeling. Even if I push down on the top of my breast. I read it could be air or something else that starts with a "c". I had surgery around 12 hours ago. Thanks! I have had absolutely no pain which is great but I'm just wondering what that crunchy sensation is! Thanks!

Subcutaneous air causes crepitus

Yu should not be performing stretching exercises.  There is air in  the space by definition. If you had crunchy "crepitus" and had not had surgery it could indicate something different.  If you feel well, you should be seeing the surgeon in less than 13 hours ask them then.

Crunchy feeling after breast augmentation is not uncommon

It's always best to inquire with your surgeon about any questions regarding your care. In my experience, when a patient calls 12 hours after surgery with your symptoms, it is totally normal. This represents air and fluid under the skin that usually gets completely absorbed within a week or so. You're right. The crunchy sensation does begin with a "c." It's called crepitus. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Funny feeling

It is not unusual to have strange sensations like you describe. I would not start trying to self diagnose and you should see your PS if you have concerns. 

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

DO NOT DO ANYTHING WITHOUT YOUR SURGEON'S OK!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Crunchy feeling

There might be some are in the pocket from you surgery which over time will resorb.  Best to keep in touch with your surgeon during your post-op care.

Probably Crepitus

Ladyluck:  This is not an uncommon finding and more than likely is the result of a little air trapped within the surgical field.  This is called crepitus, as you discovered during your internet search.  It is not harmful and will resorb with time.  There are a few other things it could potentially be though so I would definitely follow up with you PS, especially if you have a sharp pain on one side of your chest or difficulty breathing.

Best of luck to you!

G. Robert Meger MD

G. Robert Meger, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

I feel something crunchy

Hard to say without an exam. Most likely you are feeling an implant edge. If you are concerned calling or following up with your surgeon is always the best advice. Good luck and congrats!

Crunchy Sound

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your surgery!
 I would suggest a phone call to your surgeons office  to discuss this and any concerns you may have. Best of luck.

Sound

Most likely you are hearing some air from the surgery. I would suggest calling his office and ask to speak to your doctor or his nurse. Should you have any difficulty, especially breathing, let your surgeon know immediately.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Crunchy feeling after breast aug. Is it normal?

Thank
you for the question. It would be
difficult to fully assess your situation without an in-person examination. I would suggest you run this question by your
plastic surgeon and express your concern, given that he/she is ultimately responsible for your care and
knows your situation and the operation performed intimately. Best of luck.
Dr. Michael Omidi. An
in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess
your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS