I have a mole on my upper lip line. Can it be removed with minimal scarring? (Photo)

i hate this mole, it become more noticeable and it really bothers me. Anyway I want to get it removed and I'm going to the dermatologist this week, can it be removed with minimal scaring?

Raised Moles On The Lips Can Be Removed Without Deep Cutting Or Stitches By Scalpel Sculpting

In my opinion and long experience, the answer to which method is preferable for aesthetically removing raised moles, as in this case, would be Scalpel Sculpting.

Although removing moles by any method from the face is likely to leave a small scar, scalpel sculpting, which involves no deep cutting or stitches has, in my experience, proven quite successful for achieving gratifying aesthetic results while leaving little, or often barely perceptible, scars. The body of the lips (unlike those on the vermilion border of the lips) typically heals quickly and with extremely gratifying results.

The technique, which I have been using for thirty years, involves "scultping the mole" off from the surrounding skin in a tangential fashion (i.e. not cutting deeply into the skin). Deep cutting will inevitably result in a scar, while superficial (horizontal) removal in this fashion largely avoids this. Elliptical and fusiform simply describe the resulting shape of a wound excision after cutting them out deeply and before the placement of the sutures.

• As an important aside, destructive modalities to simply destroy the mole, e.g. lasers, electrocautery, electrodessication or cryosurgery should not be performed since these simply destroy all the mole tissue and do not permit a small specimen to be sent to the lab to ensure that the mole removed was entirely benign.
Performed properly, the entire procedure, which involves the use of only local anesthesia, takes no more than three to five minutes to complete, and is done at the time of the consultation.

Mole Removal without scarring

The small mole on the upper lip should be removed by shave methods to avoid scarring.  It is most important to consult a board certified dermatologist who is experienced with cosmetics and skin cancer for the best results.

Removing mole on upper lip

The mole on your upper lip should be able to be removed with minimal scarring.  I'm not sure what method your dermatologist is planning on using to remove your mole, but that could affect what type of scarring you get.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon