Mole Removal for Slightly Raised Facial Mole?

I have a small brown raised mole on the side of my face I want removed. It does have a few hairs that grow out of it that I pluck with tweezers. It doesn't cause any problems I just have never liked it. It does get puffy sometimes though. What would we the best type of surgery to remove it?

Scalpel Sculpting for Removing Moles Without Stitches

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Moles, often called "beauty marks" or "birth marks," are pigmented skin growths that may be completely flat or project above the skin surface. Typically, they may range in color through the entire spectrum of browns, from fawn-colored to extremely dark brown. Ocassionally, they may even be blue or nearly black. Removing them for cosmetic purposes, particularly from the face and neck, is a routine, simple, in-office procedure that takes less than five minutes to perform.

Scalpel Sculpting is my favorite method of removal since this technique does not require deep cutting into the skin nor sutures (stitches) to close the wound. The procedure is quite simple. The area directly under the mole is anesthetized locally with a tiny drop of lidocaine and then the surface of the mole is "sculpted" with a scalpel horizontally flush with the skin surface to leave a completely smooth area. The removed tissue is then sent to the laboratory to confirm that it is entirely benign and the "scratch"-like wound is left to heal by itself.

I strongly advise against any removal techniques, such as lasers, cautery, freezing or acids that simply destroy the tissue and do not permit laboratory confirmation that the mole is entirely benign and contains no evidence of malignant melanoma (mole cancer).

Following scalpel sculpting, the normal skin surrounding the wound supplies new cells to cover the surface of the wound, which heals by itself completely in about seven to ten days. During this time, little care is required, except for covering the wound with some ointment and a Bandaid.

Hairs growing out of moles will not be treated by this method, since the cutting is so superficial and the roots of the hairs are so deeply situated within the skin. However, these may be treated by electrolysis of laser hair removal at a later date.

Since scalpel sculpting requires no deep cutting nor the placement of sutures, there is little chance of any scarring and no chance of leaving stitch tracks. Because most moles have some sort of root that is located below the surface, there is a small chance of a recurrence, which can easily be treated in only a matter of moments. Most people are extremely gratified with both the simplicity of the procedure and the cosmetic results.

Elliptical excision and closure is the best for mole removal

From your picture this is a benign probably intradermal nevus. A "shave" excision as some dermatologists sometimes do will leave a "crater" or small contour deformity type scar...also the nevus has a decent change of coming back. I do quite a number of these and excise them precisely in the direction of the skin lines (Langer's lines) and send them for pathology just to be sure it is not something malignant or worrisome. Then I close the incision precisely with very small sutures and they heal great with a small "linear" (line-type) incision that once completely healed is usually imperceptible.

Hope this helps!

Mole Removal of Facial Mole

From the single photo you posted, I would likely recommend the mole be excised and the base gently sculpted.  This is done in my office surgical suite and takes about 30 minutes. You should be able to have an excellent result.  I remove moles like this from people's faces routinely.  Many doctors perform mole removals, but this mole is in a key spot on your face. Be sure to pick an expert with specific training in this specific type of facial cosmetic surgery.  I would recommend an in-person consultation with a board-certified, fellowship-trained Oculofacial Plastic Surgeon with extensive experience in face mole removals. Ask to see before and after photographs or reviews from prior patients. Good luck to you!

Damon B. Chandler, MD

Harvard-Penn Trained Oculofacial Plastic Surgeon

Complete Removal of mole is necessary to minimize recurrence

A mole is like an iceberg. What is visible is just the tip. The mole extends down through all the skin layers until the fatty layer is reached.

Therefore, a "shave" removal, as is typically done, will have a very high chance of recurrence. Also, if the mole is suspicious, only complete excision will give the best pathology diagnosis.

I agree that complete removal with skin closure is the best treatment. To obtain the best cosmetic result, I recommend a board certified plastic surgeon.

Best of luck.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Mole Removal On Face

It's impossible to tell from any picture, but my opinion from the photo and your description, is that this probably is a benign mole.

There are two ways to remove nevi like this, shave and excision.

You should have the actual lesion examined by a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon, and maybe get a few opinions.   We all have our preferences, sometimes based on how we are trained, and sometimes on how much money we can make doing something either way (sorry, but it's the truth).    See a few doctors and trust your gut.  

Excision of facial mole

Excision with plastic surgical closure will trade the raised, colored lesion for a flat, fine line scar. Additionally, the specimen would be sent for pathology analysis. In a fair skinned individual, this should heal well with no visible scarring after full healing has been completed.

Mole removal

This mole can either be completely surgically excised or a shave excision can be done.  Either way, it should be sent to pathology for evaluation.  

Mole Removal

Moles should be removed in total, so that they can be sent for pathological diagnosis.

You will be trading the mole for a scar. You have to decide if the tradeoff is worth it for you or not.

Mole Removal on Face without scar

The best way to remove this mole which would leave the smallest chance of a scar would be through a superficial shave removal. An excision of any kind may leave a larger scar from stitches.  When it is such a small raised scar it is best to removal it and flatten it out in the manner described. For the best cosmetic results please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience in cosmetic dermatology. 

This mole can be surgically excised

The mole can be removed using plastic surgery techniques and likely get good results.  I have removed a number of moles like this.  Below is link to a patient review posted on realself with a similar mole to yours.