Have a Mole Since I Was Little Now It is Itchy Red Swollen and Feeling with Pus What Do I Do? What Could It Be?

Have a Mole Since I Was Little Now It is Itchy Red Swollen and Feeling with Pus What Do I Do? What Could It Be

Doctor Answers 4

Changing mole

I would highly recommend that you see a board certified dermatologist for an evaluation to see if a biopsy is recommended.

Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 221 reviews

Changing Moles need to be evaluated by your dermatologist.

Most changing moles are harmless but many are not so you need to see your dermatologist for a good evaluation. Initial office visits run around $85 and the biopsy roughly $175-250 under local and is almost painless and is easy to under go.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 42 reviews

Itchy swollen mole with pus

The symptoms you describe are most likely due to an infected follicle deep within the mole. Itching, swelling and pus are not the typical warning signs of skin cancer. To be safe, you should be evaluated by a board certified dermatologist. Please use the ABCDE's as your guide for when to be concerned about moles: A for Asymmetry; B for Irregular Borders; C for Black or uneven Colors; D for diameter greater than a pencil eraser; and E for a growth that is Evolving or changing. If necessary, it is an extremely simple five minute procedure for a dermatologist to remove the mole using either a "punch" or a "shave" biopsy which typically leaves a minimal scar. The mole can then be checked microscopically for reassurance.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Mole Becoming Itching, Red and Swollen

Best option is to see a dermatologist and have them evaluate the mole. It may just be a small cyst beneath the mole, but a dermatologist should evaluate it to assure that it isn't an early skin cancer. One of the things that we teach our patients is that if a mole changes it should be evaluated by your dermatologist. "Change" means getting bigger or raised or inflamed or changing color.  About 1/3 of melanomas develop from preexisting moles while 2/3 develop on skin that didn't have a mole so it is important that when you perform a skin self exam (which should be done every month) that you do a "skin" self exam and not just look at your preexisting moles. A board-certified dermatologist should be able to look at the pigmented lesion and give you an opinion as to whether or not it needs a biopsy. Good luck.

Andrew Kaufman, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 16 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.