5 weeks post-op Breast Augmentation still having a lot of pain, is this normal?

I had a breast augmentation 5 weeks ago. 400cc saline under muscle. I had little to no breast tissue before. I have had no pain from surgery until recently. I have been experiencing severe pain for about a week now under the incision. pain is constant and increases by simply coughing or laughing. I can't get in to see my surgeon until next week. Is this normal?

It is possibly costochondritis or a muscle strain

it is very unlikely to be anything serious. of course you should see your doctor but it should be fine to wait until next week to see him. there could be several things causing this and without being able to examine you, it is hard to say. 

i would suggest taking motrin every 4 hours for a couple of days. i would also suggest gently massaging the sore area. mostly give it time and see your surgeon next week. it will almost certainly settle down but it may take a few days or a few weeks.

good luck

david berman md

Sterling Plastic Surgeon

It may be normal

I would not panic as this may be normal.  Patients start doing more activities after the 3rd week and start having more pain.  You should speak directly to your plastic surgeon so you can get in earlier and have your concerns attended to.

Andre Aboolian, MD

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. After a procedure like this one, patient can have discomfort depending on their pain umbral, besides that, after 5 weeks you should start getting better not worse, go you your plastic surgeon to check whats happening.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

5 weeks post op

Thanks for the question. In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.  In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. 

Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Recent pain

A change in your symptoms is something that who'll be checked out in person. It might be related to possibly increasing your activity level.

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Pain

Going from no pain to suddenly having pain is unusual. You should contact your surgeon to arrange a review.

Anthony Barabas, MBBS
Cambridge Plastic Surgeon

Pain 5 weeks post op BA

Thanks for your question and congratulations on your procedure! I would say that pain this far from surgery to start all of the sudden is somewhat unusual. Did you start working out again? Are you wearing a new bra (with a wire)? Is the incision raised or hypertrophic? 

If it is similar on both sides I would feel better telling you not to worry. If it is only on one side you should contact your PS sooner, especially with the holiday weekend coming up. Best of luck!

Please see your surgeon

It is hard to tell you if this serious or not without physical examination or at least pictures. Please see your surgeon for evaluation since this is not normal. 

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon