I am wondering what cosmetic procedures would make my face shape more attractive.

I feel as though my jaw and chin are large, and my face is too long and thin, maybe this is because my face is not full in the middle? Wondering if cheek augmentation would be my best bet, and if juvederm filler on the cheek area would provide me with good results.

Wondering what cosmetic procedures would make my face shape more attractive.

I have performed many facial shaping procedures using dermal fillers, facial implants (cheek, chin), liposuction and/or facelifts for over 30 years.  From the photos, your cheeks are flat in the front, the chin is weak and the nose is a wide wide over the bridge and tip.  These combine to create an elongated, rectangular shaped face.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front. Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Think of facial beauty as something that "must" address all layers of the face including the skeletal structure of the cheeks and chin, the overlying SMAS muscle, amount and position of subcutaneous fat and finally the degree of skin laxity. It's an "urban myth" that pulling tissues over flat cheeks and a weak chin can create a beautiful or handsome face. Similarly, dermal fillers or facial implants alone can't lift and remove excess skin from the face and neck. Natural looking beauty is created by the aesthetic vision of what tissue layers need to be adjusted by what technique and amount.

Hope this helps.

Juvederm Voluma® is the current gold standard for shaping/filling and enhancing the cheek contours, thereby contouring the whole face. Another popular treatment is Botox Cosmetic® Xeomin® injections into the masseter (chewing) muscles on the lower cheeks to lengthen the whole face and give it a more oval appearance. Lastly Dysport® injections (because Dysport®spreads well over a larger skin surface area) the bottom of the jawline lifts and shapes the jawline as well. 

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Perfect solution

Cheek volume would make your already very attractive face even more so. 

There are a range of fillers available from HA based products to your own fat. Each have their advantages and disadvantages. I think a good place to start would be juvederm volume. Its very predictable but reversible if the effect isn't for you. 

Something I do in my practice is to inject some saline into the area needing volume. This will give you a temporary idea of the effect you can expect. 

Hope that helps. 

Adam Goodwin

Some thoughts

You do have a (slightly) long appearing face, and there are several procedures that you could consider to address.  The issue with all of these procedures is that you look really good right now, and so your return on investment (time, money, recovery) will not be as good as for someone with larger issues.  Here are some suggestions in order of increasing downtime for recovery.  Filler in the cheeks would be the easiest and quickest solution, and I think you would really like the change.  I don't think you would like coming back for more every couple years, so you may want to consider cheek implants.  These are permanent and a good investment for someone so young.  You do have a tall appearing chin with a wide jaw.  Adding a chin implant would bring your chin to a sharper point and make it appear smaller.  Putting the implant in through your mouth would save you from any scar and while sometimes the implant sits a little higher this way that would shorten your chin and look better on you.  Your nasal line is very strait and the bottom of your nose is heavy.  Thinning the bridge of your nose and creating a smooth line from your with a "waist" at the top of your nose would shorten the appearance of your face.  You upper lip (distance from your nose to the red part of the upper lip) is long.  A lip lift would shorten that and give you a nice full appearing lip.  Finally, you do have a strong jaw with prominent angles which is slightly asymmetric and stronger on your left.  There is a procedure called mandibular contouring in which your chin and jaw can be reshaped through incision inside your mouth.  This can soften your jaw, thin your lower face, give you a smaller shorter chin, and really change the appearance of your face.  This procedure does have the most significant downtime, though.  The best plan is to sit down with a surgeon and discuss all of these options.  

Bryan Rolfes, MD

Bryan Rolfes, MD
Minneapolis Otolaryngologist

Getting Cheeky

There are great non-invasive options for cheeks including: fillers (Voluma, Radiesse, Perlane, Bellafill), implants and fat. I recommend getting a formal consultation with a facial contouring expert to go over all your options and find what's right for you. Best, Dr. Emer

Cheek implants

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for malar augmentation.  I always use medpor implants with screw fixation.  Silicone cheek implants have a much higher rate of malrotation over time.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Cheek implant candidate

When patients have a long tall and thin face, cheek implants can offer a permanent solution to augment the mid-face. Cheek implants are performed for patients who have a flat cheek profile and a flat maxilla. Cheek implants are placed through an intraoral incision under brief general anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure. They can also be removed if ever needed. For more information, diagrams of the implants and many before-and-after results, please see the link and the video below