Can you move Restylane around after a week? (Photo)

I got Restylane injections in my upper and lower lip about a week ago. The my lips are only full behind my lip by my teeth. My doctor told me to come back in to see here soon (my appointment will be 2 weeks after the injections)so she can move the filler around to the correct place. I'm slightly concerned because I feel like the injections should have been placed in the correct spot in the first place. Can Restylane even be moved around 2 weeks after injections or is she blowing smoke up my bum?

Restylane® likely can’t be moved 2 weeks after injection.

The good news with any dermal filler such as Restylane® is that the results are not permanent. The filler can generally be molded or sculpted immediately after injection to give the desired shape, however, it seems unlikely that much manipulation would be possible a week or two after it’s injected. If you’re not happy with your results and the attempts to move the filler around are unsuccessful, you always have the option of hyaluronidase injections which can dissolve the filler and will return your lips to normal. In the future, make sure you’re visiting an experienced cosmetic surgeon and that you clearly communicate your goals in order to get the best results.

Can Restylane be moved around after 2 weeks?

Thank you for sharing your question and photo. It probably is not possible to move the injected filler around. You have the option of having it dissolved and reinjected.
Good luck,

Restylane Injections and Reversal

You can mold Restylane immediately after the injections and for a short time afterwards.  Two weeks later if you are unhappy with the results you can have them dissolved with Vitrase.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Lip Swelling After Fillers Such as Juvederm or Restylane -- Reverse With Hyaluronidase

If you are unhappy or have lumps/migration you will need to reverse the filler and have it reinjected.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Can Filler Be "Moved Around" After Injection?

I am sorry to hear you are not completely satisfied with your lip filler! There may have been some miscommunication between you and your physician, as filler generally cannot be displaced or purposely “moved” once injected. I will often smooth and “mold” filler immediately after injecting an area, however results are not typically malleable past an approximate 48 hour point. With that said, although “moving” the filler is most likely not a viable option at this point, rest assured that hyaluronic acid products like Restylane can be easily and safely dissolved via hyaluronidase.

The amount of volume you are seeing is most likely in part attributed to swelling, which is why patients are advised to give filler at least two weeks before evaluating the final result. You may find that after giving your lips more time to settle, they may appear more to your liking. Communicate your specific concerns openly with your physician at your two week follow-up, and together you may decide on any revisions necessary. Best of luck!

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Moving Restylane around

Generally fillers especially in the lips can be moved around a bit but usually in the immediate after period. 2 weeks seems a bit long .are you seeing a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon?

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Restylane - filler not in right place in the lips

Thank you for asking about your Resytlane injections.

• Generally, if the filler is out of place, the earlier it is massaged back into place, the better.
  • However at times, fillers can be re-positioned months later.
  • If you trusted your physician enough to have her inject you, it makes sense to trust her now,
  • I assume she is a specialist in cosmetic treatments -
  • That is, a Board Certified plastic, oculoplastic, facial plastic or dermatologic specialist.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes

Can you move Restylane around after a week?

In a word, no. 

It looks as if you may have some bruising and the swelling that accompanies a bruise can persist for a couple of weeks, but the filler is going nowhere unless it's dissolved.

Harry V. Wright, MD
Sarasota Facial Plastic Surgeon