Thinning hair near temples

I've always had thin hair especially around my hairline like at the outer corners of my head and along the temple/ear areas. Now that I'm older, it's gotten even thinner so that when I pull my hair back in a ponytail, I can see my scalp around the ear/temple area. Would Rogaine help bring back just the hair that I've lost (or naturally had when I was younger) or will it eventually give me more hair than I naturally had in those areas? What's the success rate for Rogaine?

Hair loss -- PRP, Progesterone, Viviscal, Rogaine, Spironolactone

I suggest you see an expert for a formal evaluation to determine what is causing your hair thinning/loss. There are many different non-invasive options for treating hair loss. Rogaine works well for hair loss, but best in combination with PRP/ progesterone. Transplantation is another option. Best, Dr. Emer

Hair Loss Treatments

Depending upon candidacy there are several efficacious hair loss treatments available. My goal as a hair restoration surgeon is to work closely with my patients to determine what is causing their hair loss and what is best treatment option for their individual need and long term goals. I would recommend an in person exam.

Kathleen Morno, MD
Highland Park Physician

Thinning near temples

abz8,Without the benefit of physical examination to closely inspect your scalp it is impossible to evaluate your condition. It might have been of benefit to include some high resolution photos. Hairloss in the area of the nape of the neck,behind the ears  and temple area can be related to tight hair pulling from braids, pony tail, extensions, etc..... Using rogaine can help miniaturized hairs but will likely not bring back the hair loss from prolonged traction, much less restore hair to greater density than you originally had. Hope this helps!

Kind regards,
Bernardino A. Arocha, MD

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Temple Recession in Female

Your condition may be inherited and loss may be due to a variant of female pattern balding. Rogaine may be tried but usually not very effective in temple area. Hair transplant for temple recession works well if done properly.

Brian Goertz, MD
Seattle Hair Restoration Surgeon

Pony tails and thinning hair in the temples

If you pulled tightly on the pony tail, then you might have developed some hair damage from the traction (pull) from the pony tail. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Rogine for temples

Response to minoxidil varies from person to person however I would certainly give it a good try (6-12 months) on your temples.  You may be surprised.

Gregory Pistone, MD
Cherry Hill Dermatologist