Is it OK to wear no bra for a few hours post augmentation?

My breast augmentation is 4 days from now. My doctor told me to buy a sports bra, but I was wondering if it was ok to go braless 1 day post-op for 3-5 hours? I have a special event to attend Thanks

Ask your surgeon first

This is a question you should ask your surgeon. Each surgeon has their own instructions regarding wearing post-operative support, so you should find out what your surgeon recommends specifically. I am concerned about the special event you’ll be attending the day after your surgery. Hopefully, it will be a low key affair that won’t have you on your feet. You should be relaxing at home the day after your surgery.

Ask your surgeon

Pós op question are better answer by your surgeon because he knows what he did during the surgery and what kind of special cares you need. In my practice I let my patient not use bra for a special night only after six weeks. Regards.

Ricardo Ventura, MD

No bras, straps or appliances will create something that was not created in surgery

After breast augmentation I find no particular advantage to the use of surgical bras. In fact, I find that they can do more harm than good. They hold the implants too high, preventing them from dropping into position. In addition, they can put pressure on the healing breast or the wound. They provide no advantage. If the surgery was performed correctly, external appliances after surgery are unnecessary to achieve the appropriate final implant position. At one month we allow the patients to wear a soft cup bra with no underwire.  At two months, they can wear any bra with a wire without push up.  Before three months it is not wise to buy a whole new set of bras.  By six months, the bra size is not going to change.  You need to try bras on.  Being measured is almost never productive and almost always oversizes.  Find the ones that you like the way they fit.

Breast Implants

Thank you for your question.Best to follow all post operative instructions and guidelines. Check with your surgeon regarding going bra free for a day. Best wishes.

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon #RealSelf100Surgeon

Wearing No Bra Post Breast Augmentation

Initially, the job of an elastic bra post augmentation is to provide pressure to reduce the likelihood of fluid accumulation or bleeding. The risk of these problems quickly decline and are essentially gone by 48-72 hours. If the surgeon has done the procedure properly, there is otherwise no real reason to wear a bra other than comfort, so, if you are comfortable without a bra, there should be no reason you could not go braless after 72 hours if you are more comfortable that way.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

BA post op, advices:

thanks for the question.In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense. 
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. 
Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Is it OK to wear no bra for a few hours post augmentation

Questions regarding post op care are always best discussed with your surgeon. Each surgeon has different methods they like their patients to follow. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Post op

hope you feel well enough to go to your event. why not postpone.....................................

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Post operative augmentation care

Every plastic surgeon has different protocols for post operative care. My advice - ask your doc and follow their protocol

Jason Pozner, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon