Considering tummy tuck and BBL but I have sleep apnea

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea 2 years ago, the doctor recommended me to lose weight since I was 70 pounds over my ideal weight, I did it, I have lost 45 pounds so far,I feel now 90% better, I am working on loosing 25 more pounds and considering a tummy tuck with a BBL but I have read that sleep apnea is a major risk with general anesteshia, what do you think? Thank you so much in advance for your response

Sleep Apnea

Thank you for the question.  Check with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon on their protocols for Sleep Apnea.  At our office we have our patients with sleep apnea stay overnight after surgery.  We even have them bring their C-Pap machine for the overnight stay.  Congrats on your weight loss and Best Wishes

Tummy tuck and BBL - with sleep apnea

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck and BBL.
  • Congratulations on the weight loss.
  • Sleep apnea generally requires an anesthesia consultation before surgery.
  • The good news is that if you lose the weight, you may no longer have sleep apnea.
  • I suggest you lose the remaining 25 pounds and have the sleep apnea doctor re-test you.
  • If you still have sleep apnea, you can probably have surgery but the anesthesiologist would need to evaluate you before surgery.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Sleep apnea and surgery

I would get to your ideal weight and when the time comes to do surgery then you would neeed to get medical clearance from your internist/pulmonologist before proceeding with surgery.Having sleep apnea does not mean you can not have general anesthesia.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Because you have a serious medical issue + are in the State of FLORIDA ,you need only in hospital operation for best safety. The reasoning is the FL Board of Medicine has office based surgery rules/guidelines: #1. ONLY 1 liter fat liposuction with a combination of a TT!  #2. If you have sleep apnea you will need a full written medical clearance to have general anesthesia no matter if in office surgery setting or hospital operating room.  #3. I am sure you desire a larger BBL than just 500 cc's per buttock cheek? Thus you can only either do 2 operations in an office surgery suite or 1 operation in hospital to allow more fat liposuction and transferred than ONLY 500 cc's. Best to see ONLY private practice boarded PSs in MIAMI whom have hospital surgical privileges! Because the majority of "clinica" surgeons DO NOT have surgical privileges in hospitals! Your safety is paramount

Reevaluation of the sleep apnea and medical clearance would be indicated prior to surgery.

Beverly Hills, CA

Sleep Apnea

Thanks for your question. Congratulations on the weight loss! Be sure to mention your sleep apnea condition to the surgeon during consultation. Post-operative monitoring will be extremely crucial in your case. Medical clearance is certainly required before proceeding with surgery.

German Newall, MD

Tummy tuck

Congrats on the weight loss. As you lose weight you are becoming a better surgical candidate. You of course need to be cleared by your medical doctor before your surgery. Good luck.

Sleep apnea is not an absolute contraindication to abdominoplasty.

Postoperative monitoring is critical in patients with a history of sleep apnea due to additional ventilatory issues produced by and abdominoplasty. It is not however an absolute contraindication to the procedure.

Thank you for your excellent question and congratulations the impressive weight loss.  Sleep apnea is a condition that has gained lots of attention for surgeons due to the potential breathing risks before, during, and after surgery.  It is wise to always bring this condition up to all your physicians as there are steps that can be taken to minimize your risk.  You are doing the best thing right now by losing weight as this will significantly improve your risk profile, and be sure that your CPAP machine and any additional supplies are in good working order for your convalescence.  Sleep apnea by itself does not eliminate the possibility of surgery, but it is another condition that needs to be optimized prior to your procedure.

Possible TT and BBL. Will sleep apnea be a problem?

Congratulations on the weight loss.  See if your primary care doctor can refer you to a center that deals with sleep apnea and how to manage it around surgical procedures.  You aren't the first person with sleep apnea who needed surgery so I'm sure something can be worked out so your surgery can be done safely.  Good luck.