Is it normal for one breast to be more painful than the other after Breast Augmentation? (photos)

I started with a b cup (126 Lbs- 26YO, no kids) and had 375 high profile silicone implants placed under the muscle 4 days ago. I noticed the left breast swelling and leaking from the tube of the pain pump only on the left side. My doctor had me come in right away yesterday. They pulled me into the operating room and cut me back open to make sure there was no bleeding. It's still pretty swollen. Could it be a capsular contracture forming? How capsular contracture form?

It is not uncommon for one breast to be much more painful than the other. It sounds like things are under control and your surgeon is being very attentive 

Is it normal for one breast to be more painful than the other after Breast Augmentation

It takes at least 6 weeks to even begin forming a capsular contracture. It appears what you have is just swelling that in time will absorb on its own and match the other side, but it will take time and patience

Julio Garcia, MD

One breast hurts more than the other after breast augmentation

It is absolutely normal for one side to hurt a bit more than the other. Remember no one is symmetrical.  Typically your breast on the dominant side will hurt more after surgery  becase the muscle on that side is typically thicker and we tend to use that side more. With that said, surgeons want to always know if one breast is significantly bigger on one side or hurts significantly more. The reason is that could mean that you have developed bleeding or a hematoma in that breast after surgery. Good luck. 

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD

Emergency Surgery

You have more pain because you had blood on the left side and it was operated on.  You don't have capsular contracture, at least at this time. Follow up with your surgeon closely. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

More pain on one side

Thank you for your question and photos.  It is not uncommon for one side to be more painful, swollen or slower to recover.  You're too soon to see capsular contracture as no scar has formed by 4 days. Continue to monitor your breast for changes and keep your follow up with your surgeon. 

Best Wishes!

Jamie Moenster, DO
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetric discomfort common after breast augmentation particularly with sub muscular placement.

The use of drains is a bit unusual but most patients report asymmetric discomfort after breast augmentation. This is particularly true of the implants are in a sub muscular position.

One breast more painful than the other after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. I am sorry you have not had a smooth recovery. It is normal for one breast to be more uncomfortable after a breast augmentation. It does appear from your pictures the left breast was more swollen and potentially could have had a hematoma (bleeding). Since your surgeon took you back and verified there was no bleeding or removed the hematoma that was there (I am unclear from your question) it is common for that side to remain more swollen. A capsular contracture is scar tissue hardening around the implant. It is too soon to worry about a capsular contracture at this point. The muscle and tissues need time to stretch and accommodate the implant. Continue to stay in contact with your surgeon as it sounds like they are following you closely. Good luck with your recovery.

Pain in one breast than other after BA

Thank you for your question. You have more swelling and pain because of re operation on left breast. At this moment you will not have capsular contracture which takes few weeks to develop. Please follow instructions from your PS.

Pain in one breast and not the other after Breast Augmentation, is it normal?

Hi Idorrel,

Thanks for your question and photos. It seems that based on what your surgeon did was make sure that you did not have a hematoma or collection of blood. Once your get an operation within days of each other you will likely have more pain which is totally normal.  It is not capsular contracture. It takes weeks before that even forms. It is just scar tissue that tightens around the implant but your risk is higher on the side that had the two operations. Good Luck!

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS

#breastpain   #revisionsurgery     

One breast often is more painful than the other, especially when it sounds like you developed a hematoma on that side.  Capsular contracture is tightening of the scar capsule that develops around an implant.  You have not had time to develop a scar capsule-so not contracture at this time.  Good luck, Jane