Why does liposuction usually leave the abdomen dark/disfigured?

It seems like a lot of the women on here who've had the BBL surgery have darker skin on their abdomen than the rest of their body and sometimes it'll give the belly button a flat, deflated look. I'm curious to know if this is a normal part of the healing process, or even if it's avoidable altogether?

Hello dear, that depends on the type and also the way performed... Also the patient healing process. But usually, liposuction leaves bruising all over the places where was performed 

Bruising after lipocontouring is expected during the immediate post-surgical period.

Lipocontouring does, of course, cause bruising during the immediate post-surgery period but certainly does not "usually leave" the abdomen dark or bruised-looking over the long term.  Bruising in some patients can seem to take a loonnngg time to resolve but usually does with limited sun exposure and time.  I tell my patients that the belly button will look different after lipocontouring going from a rounded, soft-looking umbilicus to a hard-edged one that is more indicative of a better built body.

J. Howell Tiller, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Dark skin after abdominal liposuction

Thank you for your liposuction question.

• A thoughtful question -
  • Liposuction of the tummy removes fat including around the belly button, so it can lose some of its support, making it flatter.
  • Many women have BBL are women of color - liposuction vibration can stimulate the color cells in the overlying skin, making it darken.
  • 100% shea or cocoa butter can help to lighten it afterwards.
  • 4% hydroquinone applied to the skn 2 x day x 1 month in advance can help to prevent this or make it easier to treat afterwards.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes

Very difficult to respond to your question. There are always risks in having any surgery. Plus if you are not a candidate because of deficiency of areas of fat than aggressive lipo might cause there discoloration issues?