Areola edges sink in? (Photo)

I'm 3 weeks post op breast lift. Parts of my nipples looks like they've been sewn too tight to where my skin sinks in. All of my sutures have been taken out a week ago but I still have this look. Were the stitches too tight or is this my permanent look?

Post-Op Healing and Risks of Surgery

From my office, the patient will go home in a bra or with only light dressings over the incision lines. Sutures are dissolvable but an ending knot, if present is removed within 1-2 weeks. Initial discomfort is easily controlled with oral medication. Light activities may be started in 7-10 days.All surgical procedures carry some degree of risk. Any breast operation can result in changes in sensation. This happens less with lifts than reductions but is still possible. Occasionally, minor complications occur and do not affect the surgical outcome. Major complications associated with this procedure are rare. The suitability of the breast lift procedure and specific risks may be determined during your consultation. #Hypertrophic or #keloid scars can be a problem.  The worst are usually under the breast with an #AnchorLift or inverted “T”.  These can be treated like all thickened scars with re-excision, laser, kenalog/5-FU injections, creams, silicone strips and other methods to reduce and improve healing. If you find yourself concerned or facing any sort of discomfort with your incisions it would be a good idea to see your surgeon for a follow-up appointment to make sure healing is progressing well. Best of luck!

Healing takes time.

Three weeks is far too early to judge any scar, puckering, or dimpling. This is very common at this stage. Follow your surgeon's advice and instructions and give your body time to heal - at least 3 months - before critiquing the results.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Areolar dimpling

This appearance can be normal this early out from surgery. The appearance of your nipple areolar complex should improve over the next weeks to months as the scar tissue matures. I would recommend to discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon.

Post Breast Lift - Areola edges sink in? (Photo)

Always consult with your surgeon if you have concerns. I'm inclined to say that time will resolve your issues. Three weeks is still early in the healing process. At six months, your incisions will soften and improve. It is just too early to determine what your final outcome is. I don't see any issue with requesting a visit with your surgeon to get some reassurance.Good luck!

Reza Rod, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

It is too early in the healing process. You have to give it 4-6 months for things to settle down. Best of luck with your results.

These small pleats in the skin frequently go away on their own without having to do a revision.  If the areola has a tear drop shape, it can be revised in the office setting.  Best wishes, Dr. T. 

Inverted areolas

Siunce you are only 3 weeks out give it some more time.Massage with a scar cream and it will be fine.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

This type of question is best answered by your plastic surgeon as there are different techniques of sewing the skin and nipple. Most likely your surgeon used deep stitches in addition to those stitches that came out. These deep stitches can result with some puckering of the skin as you show in your picture. It takes several weeks (some longer than others) for these stitches to dissolve and at that time the puckering will resolve. In general this is not something to worry about as time will cause it to go away. Again, best to ask your plastic surgeon for his opinion.

Anthony J. Wilson, MD
Portsmouth Physician