How long does it take for Steri-Strips to come off on their own?

It will be six weeks on Tuesday since my BL and I am letting nature take it's course. Some of the strips have fallen off and I replace them but the ones on my nipples are still holding strong. Is this normal?

Steri-strips

Thanks for your inquiry.  Six weeks is a long time for the same steri-strips to still be adherent. It is hard to advise what you should do without examining you.  Call your surgeon to advise.  

Steri-strips

I have had patients whose steristrips stayed on for 6 weeks. Ask your surgeon what his preference is in terms of removing them.

Steristrips

Everyone has different experiences with stern-strips. Some fall off immediately. Others stick for awhile. This is somewhat dependent on the technique your doctor used to place the steristrips as some doctors use a skin glue under the steristrips so they stick longer. I suggest you speak with your PS first, but most likely it is ok to gently peel the steristrips off.  There are medical adhesive removers that may also be helpful.

Anthony J. Wilson, MD
Portsmouth Physician

Can take time

Steri strips can stay on for a long time.  Each person is different. Six weeks should be sufficient to remove and replace them with fresher strips.

Steri strips

Congratulations on your recent surgery! It is unusual for steri strips to stay on that long but I have seen it happen. Talk with your surgeon about what is recommended but for my patients I would recommend placing some Aquaphor or Vaseline on the steri strips and then gently lifting them off. Then you can better cleanse the area. You can recover with tape or silicone sheeting. Good luck!

Jennifer Boll, MD
Tempe Plastic Surgeon