Breast augmentation "drop and fluff", does it hurt?

Does the drop and fluff process hurt post breast augmentation?

Settling of breast implants, or "drop and fluff", is a normal process that occurs after a breast augmentation.  I tell my patients that most will be settled anywhere from 6 weeks to 3 months after surgery.  The process of the implants settling is not painful.  It occurs as your tissue adapts to the stretch of the implants.  The discomfort after surgery usually only last a few days.  See my attached blog post for more information about the "drop and fluff" process.

BA recovery.

The "drop and fluff" process as you call it is just part of the normal recovery and healing after breast augmentation surgery.  This process in and of itself is not painful.  The discomfort from surgery usually last 2-4 days on average.  The settling of the implants usually takes 3-6 weeks, but can take 3-6 months.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Healing after breast augmentation and implant settling.

Thank you for your question.  Most patients have 2 to 3 days of prominent soreness that becomes mildly tender over the next 10 to 14 days.  Settling of the implants is a variable process that takes approximately six weeks to several months to achieve.  The amount of settling varies from individual to individual and patients must realize that there is a limit to how much stretching of the skin and breast can be achieved to result in a nice contour and shape.  Consequently avoiding too large an implant is important for many patients.

Good luck with your procedure and enjoy the results.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Thank you for the question. In my opinion, the "drop and fluff” phenomenon does hold some validity; as breast implants “settle”, many patients feel that their breasts actually look larger.  Generally, this process does not hurt although some patients report the sensation of stretching and/or aching as the breast implants settle into their "pockets".   I hope this helps.

Drop & Fluff

Breast augmentation typically feels the most uncomfortable directly after surgery and patients may feel achy and sore for an average of two weeks. The drop and fluff process is a slow, settling and softening of breast implants as tightness and inflammation resolves and this does not typically feel uncomfortable but in fact, the breasts will feel less sensitive and sore as months go by.

All the best

Drop and fluff?

no. This process does not hurt.  The pain happens in the early phases post surgery but even that improves within a few days.  Hope this helps.
Dr Vasisht

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

No, as implants drop and assume a normal position you do not perceive teh shift and do not feel pain. Breast implant displacement exercises can speed the process and reduce discomfort.

Recovery from implant surgery

The initial few days are a bit uncomfortable but not too bad and easily managed with a prescription pain medication.  Ideally the implants would not drop too much.  I generally place them exactly where I want them to stay.  There are several things that I do to ensure that they don't move much.  Nonetheless, the process of healing is generally not uncomfortable and not anything you should worry too much about.

Dr Rodger Shortt
Oakville Plastic Surgeon
Assistant Clinical Professor &
Director of Cosmetic Surgery Training,
McMaster University

Performing plastic surgery in Oakville, Mississauga, Georgetown, Milton, Burlington, Toronto and Hamilton.

Rodger Shortt, FRCSC

Thank you for the question. This is normal and usually with minimal to no pain. First few days are the worse and implants can take up to 3-6 months to settle. Good luck.

Does the recovery process after breast augmentation hurt?

Thanks so much for your question.  If you have a "rapid recovery" type procedure where pain control is handled with long acting local pain medication in addition to pain pills, controlled post-op exercises, and meticulous surgical dissection, then you should be feeling fairly comfortable in 48 hours.  The drop and fluff is post-operative massage that isn't too bothersome.  Hope this helps.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon