Mentor 475cc Silicone Moderate Plus Profie or Sientra 510cc Implants Silicone? (photo)

5' 7" 144-150lbs bra size 38a kind of an athletic build. Getting silicone but having a hard time deciding between Mentor 475cc moderate plus profile or 510cc Sientra. Because of my breast pocket is (14mm?) can't accomodate Mentor 500cc but Sientra 510cc can fit really good. . Would give me suggestions on which one will suit me better. I just don't want the category of "I wish I would of gone bigger" I want fullness and feel very sexy. my ps thinks that either one i choose will look good.

Sientra or Mentor

The two implants are essentially the same in size since the difference between them is just 2 tablespoons.  The difference is in the implants themselves and not the size.  Mentor makes a very good implant but the implants from Sientra have been shown to be stronger and thus safer as as they have a lower capsule contracture rate.  

I hope that helps.

Best regards. 

Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Sientra and Mentor provide similar size and shape results.

It never hurts to compare brands and sizes when trying to determine which implant will work best for your body. Both Sientra and Mentor offer high-quality implants, and ultimately the results are very similar. That said, Sientra is becoming increasingly popular and is used and recommended by surgeons across the country for its reduced risk of capsule formation, decreased chance of rippling and decreased risk of gel leakage. Show your surgeon photos of your ideal breast appearance so that he or she can help you decide on the right implant type and size for your body.

Mentor or Sientra - different profiles

Every implant manufacturer has a variety of implant sizes, profiles, projections and contours.  This is great for surgeons as we have many options to choose from, though can be confusing to patients. It is important to fill the breast pocket (width) with the appropriate implant so cleavage and "side boob" is ideal.  Sientra offers implants that are have a slightly different base width and projection than Mentor which is why the size or cc's vary a bit.  Once you get to the size you are considering, 50 cc's, or 10% is not a huge difference.  At this point it is probably best to feel the implants to determine the implant you like best.  You can't go wrong with either.  They will be very similar in look so it comes down to which implant you think feels best.  We use primarily Sientra implants in my practice and my patents are thrilled. 

Sientra Implants..why they are a great choice....

In my video I discuss why Sientra implants are a great choice for patients. Hopefully this help guide you to correct choice.

Sanjeev Kaila, MD

475cc Mentor vs 510cc Sientra

Thank you for your question. As long as your surgeon is going off of our base diameter (as it sounds he/she is) then you should be happy with both. The Sientra are a bit more narrow than the moderate profile Mentor. The difference between the two (35cc) is so small when you are looking in the 500cc range that one could be in one side and one in the other and you probably wouldn’t notice the difference. This being said the Sientra tend to have a bit more projection than the Mentor. Good luck!

Implant sizing

There are several variables in determining implant size.  When recommending implant size for my patients, I consider the followings: 1) patients' anatomy (height, weight, chest width, chest height, amount of breast tissue) and 2) patients' desired look/goal.  Without knowing your chest measurement and breast tissue amount, I cannot give you any recommendation.  You should visit with board-certified plastic surgeon who will examine you.  Try implant sizers to get a rough estimate of the size you may want.  As you know, bra/cup size will vary depending on the brand.  Good luck with you.
Dr. Sugene Kim

Best Breast Implant Size/ Profile for Me?

Thank you for the question and picture. Despite good intentions, online consultants will not be able to provide you with  meaningful specific advice.  Ultimately, in person consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons will be necessary. Careful measurements, dimensional planning, and careful communication will be key.
Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural”  or “C or D cup”  etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

I hope this (and the attached link) help.

Mentor 475 MP versus Sientra 510 cc

The difference is 1 mm in projection with the Sientra implant winning on that note.  The base diameter is the same.  As for ensuring you will get what you want, I hope you had the opportunity to use external sizers as a sizer around 450 cc's would provide you a great idea of what your result will be.  If too small, you may want to consider increasing your size and using high profile implants if needed.

Curtis Wong, MD

I would recommend the Mentor if you desire upper pole fullness. Plus use the UHP in the 500 cc range. 

Selecting a breast implant based on base diameter

Selecting an implant should be determined by its base diameter.  The different manufacturers will have different fill volumes associated with a base diameter.  If your main  choice is between a 475 and 510 cc there is little difference between these two sizes and you will most likely be happy with either choice.