Is my post op bra too tight?

It's now 4:30 am and I've been awake for an hour with the worst back ache. I understand this is from sleeping on my back - I'm 6 days post op as of today. But I get the urge to pull my bra at the back away from my skin for relief. I can feel indents were the bra has been, even little circles from where the straps meet the main body of the bra. Is it too tight? I have my other bra that I was changed into straight after the op also. Have an ace bandage on top.

Post-op bra is too tight

From your description, the bra you are wearing has become much too tight, probably due to post-operative swelling. Removing it should provide near instantaneous relief. I instruct my own patients to go braless for the first few days following breast augmentation, and I have found that wrapping the chest following surgery has no effect but to cause pain. Your surgeon knows you best, and you should follow his or her recommendations for post-operative management.

Breast augmentation - severe bra pain at day 6

Thank you for your question about your breast augmentation.

• Sorry you are in pain - 
  • If your bra is painful you must remove it without delay.
  • You can put on a looser one instead.
  • Your description suggests it is much too tight.
  • Contact your surgeon in the morning for further instructions including the kind of bra, exercises to stretch the back and if you can sleep on your side now.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Tight Post Op Bra

Thank you for your question. The level of swelling you may have for the first week is difficult to predict. This could be temporarily making your bra too tight, or it could just be poorly fitted.  I recommend that you contact your Plastic Surgeon to ask what you can do in order to be more comfortable while supporting your breasts.

All the best