I think I was just treated with a CoolSculpting knockoff machine. Can you advise? (photo)

Today I trialled what I thought was a ZELTIQ CoolSculpting machine. I now realise I might have been treated with a knock-off, called "CoolSculpture" (pic attached). I assume the original ZELTIQ machine is superior. When they took the suction away my stomach immediately started fading down into the rest of my torso, unlike the demos I've seen where the fat stays hard protruding for a few minutes. Have I wasted my time and money? Your thoughts on the efficacy of these knockoffs?

CoolSculpture is not # CoolSculpting

This is unequivocally not CoolSculpting.   Based upon the few details provided in your photo, it does not appear to be the same technology.

You may wish to contact Zeltiq for advise as to how to proceed.

CoolSculpting Imitator

Hi Meldiva!

I do not know the Australian Certification process but CoolSculpting by Zeltiq is US FDA approved. It also has a history of over 1 million treatments with extremely low and impressive results when properly used. 

Several imitator machines made in China and Europe have not had the same safety and efficacy. They also may not have the "turn-off" safety features found in the CoolSculpting machine. There is a large mass of tissue noted in the photo of your skin in the applicator of the Cool Sculpture machine as compared to what the CoolSculpting machine has been calibrated to. 

On one hand you may not receive the desired results with the CoolSculpture machine but on your photo, it also does not appear to have harmed you.

Please visit a well experienced, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with this non-surgical and surgical options for you to consider.

All the best! 

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Coolsculpting knock-off

The photo of the machine shows it to be an imitator machine.

Coolsculpting is the only FDA approved machine for freezing fat.  All the other ones are knock-offs - and we don't know the details of the parameters they use.  Also, they don't have many of the safety features that are built in to the Coolsculpting machine, so we're starting to hear reports of more adverse effects from these knock-offs.

Get your money back and go to a place with the real deal.

Dangerous Knock-off CoolSculpting Machine

Hi meldiva101

The pictures you show clearly demonstrate a knock-off version of the CoolSculpting machine from Zeltiq. These knock-off machines (usually made in China) are dangerous and can cause burns from blistering.

Furthermore, the amount of tissue purchased in the applicator in the photo shown would be too great to get adequate freezing of the tissues for the fat to be destroyed (cryolipolysis).

I would investigate this further to see if it is TGA approved in Australia.

Good luck!

Knockoff Coolsculpting machines are dangerous

An article in the recent ASMLS journal stated people were having burns from devices like the one shown. These are not FDA approved in the United States. They also say that doctors using these device can have their license revoked and could even be arrested by FDA officials. These are not tested machines. are mostly out of China, and probably will not help your problem much. The public needs to know that if it doesn't say Zeltiq or Coolsculpting,  it isn't a legal device in the states. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

CoolSculpture is Definitely Not CoolSculpting

As evidenced by your photos, you were definitely not given an authentic Zeltiq CoolSculpting treatment. We have seen amazing results with CoolSculpting, provided it's performed by a certified expert who is using the authentic technology. It's a procedure that's been tested for several years and we know we can use it safely and effectively every time, provided the patient is a good candidate. These knockoffs just don't have the same scientific evidence to back them up - worse still, they are not only ineffective but they can also be unsafe. I would advise you not to return to this practitioner.

Coolsculpting and Imitations

Coolsculpting is a great procedure for the stomach and other areas of the body where you would want to reduce your bulge.  The photos and description that you are showing are NOT of cool sculpting by Zeltiq.  There are no studies of these fake machines and if they are effective.

Beware Copycat treatments and the providers who offer them

Wow- I'm sorry you have been victimized this way. There is no doubt at this point that one must be very wary when making decisions about their aesthetic care...

As mentioned by my colleagues below, Coolsculpting is THE ONLY machine with the track record of safety and efficacy that results in US FDA approval.

I agree with Dr. Fiala- get your money back and find a Certified Coolsculpting Center near you.

Accept no imitations!

This is not Coolsculpting!  
Coolsculpting is an effective FDA non invasive treatment for excess fat. I have seen some impressive results with a series of 2-3 treatments. However, the results do vary from patient to patient. Remember, cool sculpting requires no surgery and it will generally yield at least 10-20% improvement each treatment. It will take up to 3 month to appreciate your final results after each treatment. However, you must understand that cool sculpting is NOT liposuction. Liposuction is a surgical procedure and will yield more definitive results. Please visit with a board certified PS to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

CoolSculpting treatments lead to permanent fat loss

Definitely not a CoolSculpting machine.  I would be very concerned that your skin is going to get damaged.  Also that is a faery deep applicator.