Latisse on eyebrows— iris pigmentation a risk?

Hello, I recently met with my dermatologist to discuss using Latisse. I'm interested in using it for my eyebrows. However, I'm concerned about the risk of darkening irises. I have one blue eye and one green eye, I would hate to do anything to compromise their color. She said there was no risk since I'm only using it on my eyebrows. Is this true? And how should I wash my face in the morning after nightly application to avoid getting it in my eyes? Thank you!

Hello and thank you for your questions. Having a risk of iris pigmentation change is very low to zero. I have not had any issues of that sort in my practice. Since you will be applying Latisse on your eyebrows, there should not be any concerns of it accidentally getting into your eye. If you are still concerned, you should seek a second consultation with your dermatologist. I wish you the best of luck!

Latisse for the brows - what is the risk of iris pigmentation

Having had many patients using Latisse for a variety of reasons for brow thinning, I've never ovserved the phenomenon of the iris changing. Wash normally.While it's true the theoretical risk might not be zero, practically speaking this is just not something that is seen.

Latisse to eyebrows

I cannot imagine how you could get Latisse into your eyes if you are using it on your eyebrows. You also can wash your face normally. Unless you put the Latisse directly into your eye there is about zero risk of it just "getting" into the eye. I've sold thousands of kits of Latisse and not had one issue with anyone changing their eye color. That is reported because of Lumigan - a solution used in the eyeball itself - that contains the same active ingredient as Latisse. "This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Latisse Iris Pigmentation

Risk of iris change when applied on eyebrows is extremely very low.  However if it occurs may be permanent.  You can consider alternatives of brow tattoo or peptide based brow conditioners.

While there is a risk it is minimal

Latisse can cause some darkening of the iris but it is very unusual.  Additionally, it is much less likely if you are applying it correctly to the eyebrows and avoiding the eye itself.  If you have brown eyes there is no issue at all.  I would encourage you to try it, but you should use a small amount and clearly avoid getting it into the actual eye area.  Good luck!

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologic Surgeon