I have had a bridge covering the front four teeth, two teeth broken at or below gumline. Should I get implants or repair bridge?

This is the second time the metal screws have come loose and the bridge repaired in this fashion. I do not know what condition the broken teeth but they are broken at or below the gumline.

Recurrent failing bridge

Thank you for your question. My honest opinion and secondary to experience, the best situation even when the bridge fails for the first time is to replace it with implants. Implants have a better prognosis than bridges, crowns and even of endodontically treated teeth. Seek the expertise of your closet Oral Surgeon. Good Luck to you!!!  

Should I get implants or repair bridge?

From your description, it sounds like you have a failing four unit bridge supported by two teeth and some posts (what you are referring to as metal screws).  So the teeth have already gone through root canal treatment, posts, and bridgework.  At this point, most likely the teeth cannot be repaired in a predictable fashion for long term success.  This is the time to give dental implants serious consideration.  This will provide you with a much more predictable long term solution.

Rami Jandali, DMD, MS
Farmington Prosthodontist

Broken teeth

it sounds as if now is the time to move forward with implants. A four unit bridge on teeth that have broken twice is a very risky proposition. don't waste your money on repairing them. Move forward with something that is going to have less risk and a better long term solution. Consult with your dentist about implants. 

Broken teeth and options of dental implants vs bridge

From your description, I am assuming that the bridge is being held by two teeth (bridging over 4 missing teeth) which are broken and have loose posts. The question is whether the teeth are predictably restorable or not. If there is inadequate tooth left for a proper support, then extraction may be the only viable option. Dental implants would certainly be a superior option for replacement of the missing teeth. Another bridge would require involvement and preparation of more teeth in the back and overall it is a poorer prognosis. It is best to schedule a consultation by a surgeon and a restorative dentist for diagnosis and treatment recommendations.

Dr. Kazemi

H. Ryan Kazemi, DMD
Bethesda Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Should I get implants or repair bridge?

Difficult to advise you without X-rays, but if the two teeth that support a four unit bridge are broken below the gumline,  removing those two teeth and replacing them with implants would give you a sounder foundation for a new implant supported four unit bridge.  Alternatively , you could have 4 implants placed and four single individual crowns.  This would be more expensive, but would eliminate the bridge.  You should start with a consultation with your dentist or specialist that will place implants.