After c-section lump two fingers above my belly button. Is it safe to do Coolsculpting? (photos)

Im 36 years old. Mom of twins 5 months ago via c section. Notice a lump or buldge two fingers below my belly botton n 4 fingers above scar. Noone seem to know what it is. Some doctors say is scar tissue and others the internal stitches that came out....that lump bothers me..also have the classic pouch above my scar. Would coolsculting fix these two things?is it safe to do this after 5 months of c section?i am very athletic and want to go back to my normal life. Pls i need answers!thxs!

Safe to do CoolSculpting?

I would check with a board certified plastic surgeon to see what your options may be.  The lump you see may be a hernia from the muscles being stretched from your pregnancy.  Make sure to get this checked before deciding on CoolSculpting.  It is contraindicated to put a CoolSculpting applicator over an existing hernia.  

Coolsculpting with a lump over the belly button

Hi,The thing I would be concerned about would be a hernia especially since you were carrying twins.  If you have a hernia, it is contraindicated to do Coolsculpting on that area.  I would have your doctor examine the area and consider an imaging study to clear you before trying Coolsculpting.
Warmly,Dr. Liu

Grace Liu, MD
Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

After c-section lump two fingers above my belly button. Is it safe to do Coolsculpting?

Thank you for your question. I would recommend speaking to your doctor and ensuring you are medically cleared before doing the procedure. You can also see a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation. This way, you can explain your concerns, learn more about the procedure, and determine if you are a good candidate. 
Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Coolsculpting and Results

Coolsculpting is a fabulous procedure for freezing a bulge and removing the fat. However, in your case this bulge may be a hernia which can not be treated with Coolsculping.  An in patient exam is best to evaluate by an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Lump in abdomen and CoolSculpting

Hi,
 You have an umbilical hernia but you seem to indicate that this is not the area of concern with your statement "2 fingers below my belly button".
 There does seem to be a wider area below your belly button and perhaps this is what you are needing help in your evaluation of the CoolSculpt approach.
 The CoolSculpting is a nice way to try to decrease fatty tissue in special areas.  When there is a more atypical presentation with a bulge etc. that seems to be different than fatty tissue alone, then you need to have this evaluated.  
 C-Sections do not usually have an associated hernia  but it still needs to be checked out with your regular doctors and especially with your ob-gyn doctor.
 Just make sure that you are medically cleared and then you can proceed.  The umbilical hernia can be quite easily avoided and thus would not need to be repaired if your doctor feels that it is safe and you are not bothered by it.
 Hope this helps. 

Safety of CoolSculpting After C-Section

First of all, you have a belly button hernia. CoolSculpting cannot be done directly over the area of the hernia. It can be done above and below it. If your area of concern is away from the hernia then it can be treated. Just remember that CoolSculpting does not treat scar tissue. You need a proper examination with a surgeon that provides CoolSculpting and not a family practice/internal medicine physician, nurse, or technician. Hope this helps.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Cool Sculpting after C section

You definitely need a physician evaluation before any cool sculpting as you appear to have an umbilical hernia. I would have that evaluated first. Secondly, we do not cool sculpt patients until a year following pregnancy which is the safest amount of time following birth, let alone twins. In my opinion give yourself time to heal and recover first as your body is still recovering. Hope that helps. 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting after C-section

Coolsculpting is safe after a c-section as long as the scar is well healed and mature. I would wait a year from the surgery to be safe or get clearance from your OB-GYN if you want it sooner.  Also, based on the photos, it appears that you have an umbilical hernia.  It is NOT safe to treat over a hernia unless it is repaired.  It is safe to treat above or below the hernia.  Good Luck!

Dr. Quenby Erickson

CoolSculpting after C-section

CoolSculpting will only affect fat, so if the lump and pouch you have on your abdomen is from fat, the procedure could help.  If it is not fat, then CoolSculpting will not improve your issues.  An exam is really needed to determine what might be causing the lump that you have and to determine if you might be a good candidate for CoolSculpting to treat the lump and pouch on your abdomen.   

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon