Paradoxical adipose. How can I recognise it and when?

I had a 35 min session of coolsculpting 50 days ago. I don't feel any hard areas at my belly so far. Can I schedule a next treatment a the same area the next 10 days? I also want 2 sessions at the love handles. Is it possible to develop hard fat tissue the if I'm ok at the belly area? Thanx

Thank you for your question. You can definitely book another treatment. The minimum waiting time between treatments is usually 30 days. Paradoxical adipose hyperplasia is a rare side effect that can happen in any treated area. If you are concerned, speak with your provider. Always ensure that you see a physician experienced in CoolSculpting. 

PAH after CoolSculpting

Yes, you can have the treatment as long as it's no sooner then 30 days. Paradoxical adipose hyperplasia is noticeable around 5-6 months after your treatment. It is very distinct and you can see where the applicator was placed. This can be treated only with liposuction. If at anytime you feel something is out of the ordinary then follow up with your CoolSculpting specialist.  

Robert G. Aycock, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Second treatment

If it has been 50 days, you are perfectly fine to have another session of Coolsculpting on the same area.  There is always a risk, though very, very low, of paradoxical hyperplasia in any area you have treated, regardless of success with your past treatments.  Best of luck.

Grant Stevens, MD

CoolSculpting and Paradoxical Adipose Hyperplasia (PAH)

PAH after CoolSculpting is a rare complication. I would discuss your results with your physician if you are concerned about PAH. At 50 days out, you are ok to go ahead with re-treatment as needed. I sometimes have my patients wait the full 3 months before re-treatment so we have an idea of what result each treatment provided. 

CoolSculpting and Paradoxical Adipose Hyperplasia

Yes, you can re-treat an area 30 days after the treatment.  So if you are already 50 days out, then it is safe to re-treat.  It is possible to develop paradoxical adipose hyperplasia from any CoolSculpting treatment, but it is a very rare side effect from CoolSculpting.  Consult with your physician if you are concerned about it.  A lot of people who treat their belly area end up also treating their love handles because they want the best results all around.  Best of luck! 

Jeffrey Hartog, MD