2 weeks post op breast reduction with free nipple graft. Nipple peeling normal? (Photo)

I am 2 weeks post op breast reduction with free nipple graft. Had 6lbs removed. Everything seemed to be going smooth after removing the bolsters 7 days post op. Week two I started losing skin on the nipple it began coming off little by little with each change of dressing. Some skin coming off around edges of areola as well. I know it is still extremely early. Should I be concerned? Is it a sign that the nipple graft is failing?

Peeling Areolar/Nipple Skin after Free Nipple Graft Breast Reduction

• Overall, you appear to be healing up well. 
  • Free nipple grafts are uncommonly performed for breast reductions, but I have performed a few over the years for GIANT breasts.
  • The peeling you have of your areolar and nipple skin is actually very common and expected after a free nipple graft. 
  • Continue to keep these areas moist with Bacitracin ointment and a non stick dressing. 
  • In a few months you may be left with some areas of hypo-pigmentation (lighter colored areas), and tattooing can help with this. 
  • Thanks for sharing!

Skin Peeling After Free Nipple Graft

Thank you very much for your question.

What you are experiencing is not uncommon after free nipple grafting.  I would continue to keep the graft moist with antibiotic ointment or vaseline (whichever your surgeon recommends), as the skin is still fragile at this point.

Of course, if you are concerned, it's best to discuss this with your surgeon and be evaluated in person.  Best of luck!

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Areola issue

When the areola is placed as a free graft, there is often areas of superficial loss as well as color changes as it heals.  If concerned, best to check with your surgeon.

2 weeks post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
2 weeks after Breast Reduction, it's not time enough to express a valid opinion of results.
On the other hand, generally to avoid the normal p.o. swelling, I recommend to limit the arms movement for two weeks.
Also it's not advisable to carry weight and take the antiinflamatory painkillers drugs.
Finally, I recommend you always use a therapeutic bra.Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

2 weeks post op breast reduction with free nipple graft. Nipple peeling normal?

Not the norm but can occur. Best to seek come follow up with your chosen surgeon.....................