Can I reduce my masseter muscle naturally and how long does it take? (Photo)

I only notice it 1 year ago that my left masseter is larger than my right masster but when I look at my old photos my left and right masseter are completely the same size i just think that because I cleching it everytime I go to bed.Please is there a way to reduce my masseter musscle without botox and how long does it takes?

Botox and masseter injections

Injecting Botox in the masseter muscle is an extremely popular procedure and highly effective. Please consult an expert. Best, Dr. Green

Reduce masseter without Botox

Thank you for asking about your masseter size.

• You are probably right that clenching your teeth can enlarge one masseter.
  • To return the masseter to normal, without botox, one can try having the underlying dental problem corrected or wear a mouth guard at night.
  • These aren't always effective - hence the popularity of Botox.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Masseter Muscle relaxation with ThermiRase

Thank you for your question Teressa. There's a micro-invasive procedure called ThermiRase that could help relax the masseter muscle to make it look more symmetrical. ThermiRase uses controlled radiofrequency heat to treat the nerves that cause this muscle tension. Nerves are mapped out and isolated prior to treatment. A tiny probe is then applied to disable the specific nerve or nerves that are causing this tension. This is all done under local anesthesia and there's absolutely no downtime after treatment. The results could last up to two years, it's pretty amazing. Please check out the Thermi website to locate an expert in your area. Good luck!

Brian M. Kinney, MD, FACS

#Masseter hypertrophy

You seem reluctant to consider Botox for this problem but it really is the best and only approach to make your jawline more symmetric, you should also look into why this has happened more thoroughly, to ensure that it is simply a matter of clenching the muscle on that side more rather than a mass in the parotid gland, for example.

I wrote an article for Real Self on fear of Botox; the link is below.

Dr. Clark

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Botox and Masseter Injections

Masseters can be reduced with botox injected properly. I suggest you see an expert.    Best, Dr. Emer.

Masseter muscle reduction in the Phillippines

Looks like your left masseter is more prominent than the right. Selective masseter injection 150 units plus over 2-3 sessions will correct this deformity. 

Dr H Karamanoukian
#RealSelf100 Member

Masseter reduction

Hello and thank you for your question.  Botox is definitely the best, most reliable, and safest way to do this.  I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD