Heads for CoolSculpting Stomach (2 Small or one Large). What's the best technique?

Had the initial consultation and they said I was a good candidate. For the lower abdomen, the doctor presented that they would do two sessions with the smaller head. I got the feeling that this was because they didn't have the larger one. In the videos and other posts, it seems that most people have the procedure done with the larger head so I am wondering if there is a risk of poor results doing it their way. This does seem to be how they approach the process here though.

Coolsculpting

I appreciate your question.
The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Which applicator

Depending on which direction your doctor can get the best pinch, he/she will decide on which applicator is best.  Either the 2 small or one large can be very effective.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Best technique for CoolSculpting

Thank you for your question.  There is no single best technique to achieve ideal outcomes with CoolSculpting.  There is a higher incidence of temporary side effects that can be associated with the large applicator but that is not the reason to not use itIf that is what is truly best for you.  I recommend evaluation by someone who has a great deal of expertise in using CoolSculpting.  This is a highly technique dependent procedure which requires excellent clinical judgment

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Cool sculpting treatment planning involves a little artistry

Cool sculpting involves some artistry and experience helps a lot.  What treatment heads are best depends completely on what your fat is like, which I can not see.  Make sure your provider has experience in treating people like you.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Treatment Plan

It is always recommended to have a face-to-face consultation with a provider in order to determine if you would be a good candidate for CoolSculpting and how many treatments you may need. Keep in mind that CoolSculpting is not a weight loss method and in no way replaces diet and exercise. It also is not meant to help tighten loose skin. CoolSculpting targets the subcutaneous fat underneath the skin and not the internal visceral fat.
During the consultation, the health care provider will visually assess the fat in order to determine if the person needs debulking or sculpting. The physician will physically assess the orientation of the fat by pinching and feeling it. Everyone's anatomy is different, therefore, it is up to the provider to determine what applicators to use and come up with the best treatment plan.

We like the concept of Treatment to Transformation

Thanks for the question and we recommend that your consultation for this be done in an office
of a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon as we understand the device the best and also how
the procedure works the best. Each person presenting for this needs to have a thorough evaluation to
determine the distribution of the fat in you and to determine which of the applicators would work the
best in your case. We like the concept of Treatment to Transformation, which means that we use
different applicators depending on what we are treating. If there is need for the large applicator and then
the smaller ones, then that is what we do. For this determination, the evaluation is crucial. If you are
concerned about the provider here not having the large applicator you may need a second evaluation by
someone who has this to see what they might recommend, which may be needed or may not, depending
on what is to be done.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolscupting and Applicator Selection

Coolsculpting is a great procedure for sculpting a particular bulge.  The choice of the small or large applicator really depends on the patient and their anatomy.  An in office consultation is really needed to see how the patient best needs treatment.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with cool sculpting for the best cosmetic results.

Coolsculpting Head Shapes

The size of the applicators depend on the area being treated.  Most of the time I find multiple applicators and multiple treatments are needed to get contouring and by then it would have been cheaper for you to get liposuction/shaping.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Applicator size for CoolSculpting of abdomen

There are two different applicator sizes that can be used when performing CoolSculpting to the abdomen.  I would say, in most cases, that the larger applicator can be used to treat the abdomen, but there are some people where doing 2 treatments with the smaller applicator may be better.  Sometimes the patient may be too small to have the large applicator work.  Sometimes there may be a slight difference in the location of fat between sides, and performing 2 treatments with the small applicator may be better.  I would just ask your doctor why he or she feels that 2 treatments with the small applicator is better than one with the larger one for you.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Small or Large CoolSculpting Applicator for the Abdomen?

Deciding which CoolSculpting applicator to use depends on the distribution of fat in the area to be treated as well as the experience of the person doing the treatments. The large applicator is used for debulking large areas of fat, whereas the smaller applicators are used more for sculpting. If you are too small to effectively use the large applicator then it is appropriate to use the small ones. Hope this helps answer your question.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon