Can Kybella be used in the lower ankle area, more around the foot? (Photo)

I suffer from cankles but I also have another problem area on the side of my foot. I have a small pocket of fat situated on the outer part of my foot just below the ankle and so there's no indentation which makes my foot and ankle look solid and heavy, very Unfeminine. After reading what Kybella injections can do for the double chin area I though it could work for my small pocket area.

Kybella for Fat Reduction Beyond the Double Chin.

If I understand your question correctly, you are not asking for reduction of your cankles, just the fat pocket in that area. This, of course, would be an off label use of Kybella, but we are actively exploring off label uses of Kybella in multiple clinics throughout the country. We have never injected Kybella into this area, but I do not see that it would pose an inherent danger. You would experience swelling after injection. Since it is an unexplored area of injection we don't know how much, so conservative injection amounts would be necessary. So, I think that this could be an area where Kybella could help, but make sure to go to an extremely experienced Kybella injector and make sure that you guys go slow and conservatively.

Kybella for the ankles

Thank you for your question pawpawpawpaw. Kybella is an outstanding treatment to dissolve fat in the area under the chin. It has not been studied in other areas such as the ankles so the safety and efficacy is not known in other areas. Studies are ongoing to test Kybella in other areas and we hope to have more information soon. Please consult with a doctor for specific advice. Good luck.

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Kybella for Cankles

Kybella dissolves fat no matter where it is injected, so yes, it can be used to reduce fat in the cankles.  We have used it to reduce fat in chest bulges near the underarms and also in the "buffalo hump" on the upper back.  It can definitely be used, but you may find it cost prohibitive if there is a large area.

Lawrence Osman, MD

Can Kybella be used in the lower ankle area, more around the foot?

Hello, and thanks for your question. Kybella is FDA-approved for reduction of fat underneath the chin, but has not yet been studied in other areas, but this is currently under investigation. In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with a well-trained dermatologist or plastic surgeon. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella to the lower ankle

Kybella is only FDA approved to treat the submental area under the chin. Anything other than this area is considered "off label" and does not carry extensive research to potential side effects and complications. Use caution and go to an experienced injector who is board certified. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Consider Non-invasive Fat Destruction vs Kybella for Body FAT

Wouldn't that be great if Kybella could be used to treat other areas of subcutaneous fat in unwanted places!
At this time, however, Kybella is indicated ONLY for submental chin fat. The safety and effectiveness of treating in other areas has not yet been studied.

TruSculpt is the latest non-invasive device that has been clinically proven to target problem areas of fat on the body and under the chin that have been resistant to diet and exercise.

Ronald Moser, MD
San Juan Capistrano Physician

Yes it may work

As others have stated Kybella is only approved for submental fat.  Any other locations are off label.  Kybella dissolves fat cells, so anywhere there is fat, it will work.  Its just a matter of making sure the area is safe and important structures will not be affected.  Price is also a concern.  A larger area is going to be so expensive that is will be prohibitive and liposuction will likely be the best option.  For this area I think Kybella may help you out, but you need an in person exam and evaluation by a plastic surgeon experienced with Kybella.  

Good Luck

"The above answer has been given without seeing this patient and cannot be substituted for actual in-person examination and medical advice; it is only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Kybella for legs

Dear Pawpawpawpaw,
Kybella has been studied and FDA approved for submittal fat (that's the area under the chin).  These tests have shown that the benefits outweigh the risks.  If you choose to use it anywhere else in the body, it's considered "off-label".  We regularly use products "off-label" such as Botox of the forehead area.  However, we don't have much experience in injecting Kybella in different areas of the body yet, as it hasn't been around that long (generic brand has been used for many years by physicians, but not extensively)  In the area that you are referring to, there is a possibility of unexpected complications, such as nerve damage.  Until there is more research on it's effects in off-label body parts, I think the risks outweigh the benefits.  Therefore I don't recommend it.  Safety should always precede any cosmetic enhancement.

I hope that helps!

Sherly    Soleiman, MD

Off label Kybella

Off label use of pharmaceutical drug is the use of a drug in an unapproved age group, dose, or route of administration.  Kybella is approved for the reduction of fat under the chin in adults.  While it is at the physician's discretion to use a medication off-label, I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone willing to inject Kybella in the area that you describe.  Kybella can be used off label anywhere there's a relatively small amount of fat, but patients and physicians must understand that the risks and benefit of using it anywhere outside the submental (under chin) location are unknown at this point in time.  To my knowledge, Kybella has been used off label with good success around the bra strap area (upper back), inner thighs and knees and for small pockets of abdominal fat.  I personally have not tried it in these areas, nor have I seen any controlled clinical trials revealing the risks and benefits of doing so (as in any procedure, 'success' depends on whether the benefits outweigh the risks), so I am hesitant to broadly recommend it in those areas.  Specifically for you, swollen or thick ankles may result from numerous reasons, not just excess fat, and therefore Kybella would not be the answer for you.

Adam M. Rotunda, MD
Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella in the Ankles

Kybella can definitely not be used in the ankles.  This is an off-label indication and does not address the underlying problem in the ankles.  Please consult a specialist.  Best, Dr. Green