What is the difference between Juvederm Ultra 3 & Juvederm Ultra Smile for lip plumping? Which gives a larger plumping effect?

Thank you in advance! I cannot ask the aesthetic nurse before undergoing the procedure as she is away on holiday. I have scoured the Internet everywhere and cannot find an answer. My appointment is in a week and I'd love beautiful, full, plumped lips. I just don't know which option to go for.

What's the difference in Juvederm

Well, if you live in the U.S., Juvederm Ultra 3 and Juvederm Ultra Smile aren't products that are FDA-approved, so if someone plans to inject you with these, please know that! The two types of Juvederm that are approved for use in the U.S. are Juvederm Ultra and Juvederm Ultra Plus. The difference is in their cross-linking. Juvederm Ultra Plus is usually a bit more expensive, because it's more expensive to the doctors to purchase. The cross-linking is higher with this product meaning the particle sizes are a bit smaller and tighter, and the fluid itself is more smooth. Personally, I only use Juvederm Ultra Plus because I find it to be superior to Juvederm Ultra. I don't often use Juvederm in the lips because the particle size is smaller either way. I opt for either Restylane or Perlane, especially if people are looking for more plumpness. I prefer Juvederm in finer lines because it works better. If I'm putting it in the lips I find I almost always have to use more product to get the same results as I can with less Restylane or Perlane. If your aesthetic nurse can't answer questions like this for you because she's always away on holiday that begs the question, why are you going there? What if you have a problem after your treatment?

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

What is the difference between Juvederm Ultra 3 & Juvederm Ultra Smile for lip plumping?

Juvederm Ultra and Juvederm Ultra Plus are both HAs.  The difference is cross linking.  I use Juverderm Ultra or Restylane for the lips and get wonderful plumping results!  You can see a video on lip injections below. 

Juvederm 3 is not available in the United States

Juvederm ultra or juvederm ultraplus are great fillers for the lip. I have found these fillers to be softer in feel than Restylane. juverderm ultra plus is not for everone. it depends on the amount of volume needed to be replaced. Also, when injecting the vermillion border, the boundary line between the red lip and the skin-colored lip, i find Juvedem ultra to be the right filler whereas, the Juvederm Ultraplus can be too thick in this region. Juverderm Ultraplus can be injected into the substance of the lips for bigger volume and when done conservatively, the lips can look natural and refreshed, not artificial.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvéderm Product Differences

Juvéderm is a product made by Allergan.This company makes a broad spectrum of products available around the world.Juvéderm Ultra 3 and Juvéderm Ultra Smile are products that are approved elsewhere in the world, but not in the US.If you, and Georgia, have someone who proposes to inject you with either of these, that person is importing them illegally.If this is the case, I would highly suggest that you see someone else.The Allergan filler products available in the US presently are Juvéderm Ultra, Juvéderm Ultra Plus and Juvéderm Voluma®. Ultra is useful in the lips and 4 lines.Ultra Plus is useful for heavier lines. Voluma® is designed to lift the cheeks and fill the malar areas as well as the subcutaneous areas.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm Ultra 3 and Smile products are not used in North America.

Juvederm Ultra 3 and Smile products are not used in North America. Typically the injector will assess you and inject you with a product based on your tissues and desired look.

All the Best.

Martin Jugenburg, MD