Massages after Mommy makeover? (Photo)

Do i need to get massages after my mommy makeover procedure? It include tummy tuck with muscle repair, breast augmentation and liposuction on my flanks. And if so how soon I should start.

Therapeutic nihilism

Sorry to disagree...although massage will likely make you feel better and possibly help a bit with your swelling, results are strictly surgeon, technique and candidate dependent...outstanding body contouring surgery can rarely be screwed up by reasonable patients exercising common sense or enhanced by well meaning patients with lists of "do's and don'ts'...reasonable judgment, high levels of motivation, prudent activity and varying degrees of patience and time are generally all that's necessary after a great operation provided there are no significant complications

Mommy Makeover Recovery

In general, I think it's a good idea to perform a lymphatic massage over the tummy area and to wear a support garment from breast to thigh, but every surgeon has his or her own specific post operative care. Therefore, make sure to consult your surgeon as to what is best for you. Congratulations on your new figure -- Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Massage after makeover

Thanks for your question.  The majority of my patients don't have massage after mommy makeover surgery and they seem to recover quite well.  That stated,  I would recommend talking to your plastic surgeon to see if they think it will help.

Post op of mommy makeover, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
To reduce the swelling after a mommy makeover I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emma Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Massage after Mommy makeover?

I do usually have my patients do massage both for a breast augmentation and tummy tuck.  I usually have them begin 1 to 2 weeks following the procedure.  However, check with your surgeon and and follow their recommendations.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makover Specialists

I am not quite sure what you are pertaining to but scar massage is encouraged but its not necessary to give a good result.

Massages after mommy make-over

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.
  • Thee is not need to have massage after your mommy make-over.
  • If you want massage - and sometimes they do feel good - you need to wait until there is no pain.
  • And ask your own surgeon when it is ok to have massage.
  • Usually it will be at least 3 weeks, often longer, before a massage is comfortable.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Questionable benefit of massage after mommy makeover.

There is no scientific proof that massage is any benefit to the final aesthetic product after mommy makeover. Certainly avoid massage that is painful as this could be harmful to the healing tissues. Light massage for comfort is probably okay but this should be cleared by your surgeon.

Massages after Mommy makeover?

Tummy Tuck and Liposculture always require massages, in fact, without massages you have no guarantee of good results. You need this treatment to avoid lumps and hardness on the areas you get worked on, and, also, to drain possible rest of liquid that might be left after your drain is removed. I always recommend my patients to start with the massages on the 5th day post-op, and to take at least 10 sessions of 30 minutes minimum, you can get more sessions if desired, like 15th or 20.  I hope this answer was helpful. 

Yily De Los Santos, MD