Training for IRONMAN. Swimming after breast augmentation? (photos)

I got 325cc breast implants 14 days ago. I am looking at getting back into training for IRONMAN. I am most nervous about swimming/ running and my implants moving... Any thoughts on this? I am looking at doing a full distance IRONMAN in May so I need to get back in the pool- my doctor said 4 weeks post op I am able to swim and 3 weeks for running/ cycling (starting light).

Triathlete training post breast augmentation

Different plastic surgeons will have different recommendations depending on their training and experience. It is always best to follow the recommendation of your board certified plastic surgeon as to your exercise tolerance. Your surgeon will know about your tissues, how much he/she had to do with the pocket, etc. When you do get the OK, make sure to wear very good sports bras. Also please ease into excercise. Don't run a marathon the first day. We see patients post op and let them know their limitations at their appointment. Running is usually about 8 weeks out. Swimming will depend on many variables, including how strenuous your swim is going to be. Are you planning to do long competitive swims in the ocean right away? Please talk to your plastic surgeon and make a plan about your exercise tolerance.

Post Op Exercise

Every surgeon has his or her own post op protocol when it comes to exercise. I typically advise my patients to wait 4-6 weeks, but your surgeon knows your case best so follow his or her advise. And good luck with the IronMan! Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Follow Your Doctor's Instructions to Train Safely

I applaud your initiative, jlh123! The Ironman triathlon is quite an event! I can't make a recommendation to trump your surgeon's suggestion, because only he or she knows the full details of your case, but the guidelines you received seem very reasonable to me. Although training for a triathlon does require some degree of pushing yourself, be sure to listen to your body once you resume training again. Overtraining or "working through" the pain can result in unfavorable results with your breast augmentation. Check out my blog post below to learn more about exercising after breast augmentation. Good luck with your healing process — and Ironman!

Rocco C. Piazza, MD

Breast Augmentation: Timing of post-operative exercise

I agree with your doctor. I tell my patients that three weeks after surgery, it’s OK for them to do aerobic activity (treadmill, stationary bike, etc.), running and lower-body weight training. Women are usually comfortable doing arm exercises (upper-body weights, swimming) starting about six weeks after surgery.

I have two Triple Crown bodybuilders in my cosmetic breast surgery practice. They started upper workouts at six weeks with no problem. I did advise them to start light at first and allow two weeks to get back to their full weight workout. For more information on this and related topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Training

I think it best to follow your surgeons post operative instructions. He or she knows your case the best.

Training for IRONMAN. Swimming after breast augmentation?

Follow the advice of your surgeon who knows the details of you breast augmentation. Good luck in Ironman!

Richard Zienowicz, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

Activity after breast augmentation

I think it is best to follow the directions given to you by your surgeon. He will be able to monitor your healing and give you appropriate advise.

Be guided by your personal surgeon

All patients heal and recover differently.  It is best to be guided by your own surgeon in this regard.    

Vasdev Rai, MD

Training for Ironman

Thank you for your question. Different surgeons have different protocols. My patients who are Ironman competitors go back into the pool 3 weeks post op surgery.  

Joshua Halpern, MD, PA

Activity after breast augmentation

Congratulations on your BA and a huge congratulations on training for the Ironman!  Your plastic surgeon will be the best source of information on your recovery and activity limitations.  In general I advise no cardio/heart rate increases for the first 2 weeks, and no lifting for 4 weeks.  After that, your body is the best guide as to what you should or shouldn't do.  You can swim once the incisions have completely healed, generally 4 weeks.  Swimming is a great low impact activity and should not be any issue for your implants. 

Congratulations!  Best of luck with your continued recovery.