Hiding a boob job?! A to D cup.

Hello, I am 21 and have been wanting a breast augmentation for years now but my parents do not approve of it. Although im old enough to get this procedure without their permission, i was wondering is it possible to hide a boob job? I am a small A cup and want a small D or full C cup. I have heard that a sports bra can definitely flatten your boobs under a shirt or sweater, but i wanted more options. Thanks!

Hiding a Boob Job - Make it Natural

It's important to know what size bra you currently wear. Is it a 32, 34, 36 bra, and, of course, the cup size. The strap size is important to know because that affects the diameter of the cup and subsequently the diameter of the breast implant that we choose. We also need to know your height, your weight, and it's helpful to know your dress size as well.

In addition, it would be very helpful if you include photos of yourself. A front view, a side view, and a three-quarter view are most helpful. This will let us see if there are any breast asymmetries, if the breasts are narrow, if the breasts are wide, what your chest wall looks like, and this will also help us make a decision as to the best size breast implant for you.

In my experience in general, if a woman wears a size 36 AB bra and would like to be a C cup, which is the average size that women wear and the average size bra that is sold, she needs a volume of approximately 350 to 390 cc to make that change. This becomes less if she's wearing a 34 bra, because it has a smaller strap size and the cups have a smaller diameter. A smaller diameter implant would then be a volume of approximately 300 to 350 cc. In the same way if she was more petite, maybe a double zero or size one and wore a 32 AB bra, then to become a 32C cup she would only require about 250 to 300 cc.

This is a general number, and of course there are other factors that will affect this. For example, if she has a chest wall issue where the chest is slightly sunken, this is called a pectus deformity, then she would require a little bit more volume to first bring her chest to a level position and then move forward to the projection of a C cup. This may require implants of about 50cc more. It's important to examine the patient and have complete information to make this decision.

breast implant size

1.   32 a   to 32 c   needs about 250-275 cc

2.   34a    to 34c     needs about 300-350 cc

3.   36a    to 36 c     needs about 350-400 cc

4.   You will be a double dd or larger  with 400

Your doctor will work with you to choose the best implant #shape and #implantprofile based on your goals and measurements.  In my practice, about 15-20% of the patients are good candidates for silicone #shapedimplants.  The profile is determined by the amount of projection versus roundness that the patient desires, as well as the size of the implant and size of her chest. The profiles are usually described as high, moderate plus and moderate.

How to Hide?

There are several things you can do to minimize the detectability of your implants:

- Use a lower profile implant since these will give you less fullness in the upper part of the chest.

- Wear loose fitting clothing.

-Avoid push-up bras. Instead a sports bra tends to hold the implants in and makes them less noticeable.

On a final note, hiding something from a close family member often leads to hurt feelings when the secret becomes known. A gentle but firm conversation is a more honest way to go and avoids the need for continually hiding your secret.

George Sanders, MD

Breast augmentation - hiding the results

The best way to hide the results is to wear loose fitting clothes.  You'd be surprised how many people you can fool.  Also, when you do wear tighter clothes, nowadays most people will think it's a padded push up bra.

Christopher Costanzo, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Hiding Breast Augmentation

This is a question that is often asked by women whom have parents who do not approve of their choice to undergo breast  augmentation surgery. Ultimately you have to do what makes YOU happy and what is beat for YOU. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that will advise you on how to achieve your goals and help you understand the details of  your surgery. Sports bras as you mentioned as well as large sweaters will help camouflage your new breasts. Best of luck to you.

Hiding a breast augmentation

Often times people want a breast augmentation to create larger breasts. You can still have a natural result with implants but this may be hard to "hide" from your family depending on the social situation and clothes you are wearing. Consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon can help understand your goals and how to achieve them. Best, MMT

Breast augmentation

Depending on your style of clothing, hiding your augmentation may be possible, but realistically, it will be difficult to hide from your parents indefinitely. Keep in mind that after your surgery, your breasts may appear even higher or larger than planned due to swelling and inflammation. Also, any attempts to flatten or compress your breasts during the healing phase can negatively affect your outcome and can increase your risk of having complications. You should consider discussing this with your family prior to your surgery so you can live comfortably. Your surgeon may be able to speak to them as well with your permission to explain the process as well. Hope this helps!

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Hiding a boob job?! A to D cup.

Under no circumstances would I recommend doing anything that might bring significant discord to a family. Talk to your Mom about your thoughts and ask her to accompany you to a surgical consult so she can understand why women seek out and benefit from this procedure. Once she understands how this can bring benefits to you she may change her thinking. If not then whether or not you as an adult proceed with the surgery is up to you, but you can't hide the results.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Concealing plastic surgery

Often patients will wear padded bras before their procedure.  That way the change isn't as dramatic.  Make sure you select the right size that isn't too big for your frame, so that you can avoid complications and redo surgery.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Hiding a boob job?! A to D cup.

One does have freedom of choice, however your life will be made much easier by having parental approval especially if you are living at home.  I'm not sure that wearing loose tops leading up to the procedure to camouflage the change will be of any help in the long run.  I'm a bit concerned about your interest in going from an A cup to possibly a D cup since that is fairly aggressive, especially if you don't have abundant skin and distensibility.  Think that choice over carefully and discuss with your ABPS Bd Certified surgeon before proceeding.  Watch the video link above for interesting information that will help you.   Best regards,

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Augmentation

In some cases where a small implant is placed for upper pole fullness in someone with a C plus cup size, there may not be much change with clothes on. However in your case, it will be obvious. I suggest discussing this with your parents.

Matthias Solomon, MD