How long would I need to take off work after breast implants?

I was wondering if I got breast implants how long would it take for me to go back to work. I work in the auto field so that means I'll be assembling cars/trucks. How much time would I need off work?

Time off

If you're at Ford on the line I would give yourself 7-10 days. Any sooner than this might be ambitious.

Returning To Work Post Breast Augmentation

Depending on what you do, you can return to work within 5-7 days. For physical activities you can resume within 3-4 weeks and 4 - 6 weeks recovery to resume aggressive physical activities. Talk to
your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with any concerns or questions.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Return to work after breast augmentation

Recovery after breast augmentation usually means that you cannot drive for about a week.  Patients who do desk work or can have light duty may be ready to return about 7-14 days after surgery.  The type of factory work will also depend on how much you may need to lift or reach above shoulder level.  For more strenuous work it may be 3-4 weeks before returning to work. I suggest that you discuss this with  your plastic surgeon so that ;you can explain the specifics of your work requirements.  For patients that are having cosmetic surgery, I only tell the employer that the person has had surgery and what restrictions will be.  The type of surgery and diagnosis are not part of my explanation for disability or return to work. As a rule there are no limitations for work or exercise or sports after 6 weeks.  Good luck.

John M. Weeter, MD

How long to be off work after breast implants?

Since your job is physically demanding, you will need 3-4 weeks off from work before you return.  Trying to return sooner may lead to prolonging your recover from the surgery and is not advised.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

For most of my patients after breast augmentation surgery, one week out of work is enough time for them to feel comfortable returning to work. Patients with very strenuous work often return to " light duty" for 1- 2 weeks if possible. Everyone is different, with different pain tolerance but I don't want to have anyone injure themselves by being too active too soon.

Sheila Bond, MD
Montclair Plastic Surgeon

Does anyone know the best augmentation for my breasts? (Photo)

Most patients undergoing breast augmentation may return to desk job work in less than a week. Physical work may require 3-4 weeks off. But it's best to discuss this with your plastic surgeon.

George Lefkovits, MD

Back to work after a BA

Hello dear, thanks for your post. It is very important to take enough time off of work after breast augmentation to allow tissues to heal and the capsules to form properly. I think the temptation is to minimize breast augmentation surgery and make people feel like it is just a small thing, and we are great surgeons who can get them back to normal life the next day, or even the next week. The truth is that it is real surgery, we really cut muscles and other tissues to do it, those tissues can bleed or form scar tissue or get infected, and premature return to activity increases the chances that one of those things will happen. Anyone with a strenuous or physically demanding job, including mopping, lifting, pushing, overhead reaching, and the like should take special care. This includes people in jobs like waitresses/servers, hairstylists, nurses, military and police personnel, warehouse and retail workers, production line workers, and exotic dancers. If you have a strenuous job like that, you should take at least a full week off of work, and then when you return from that you should be on modified, or light duties in which you can avoid those types of activities that put a strain on your chest muscles, for at least another 2 - 3 weeks.  Check with your surgeon first before finalizing your work schedule. Good luck. :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

As you can imagine, every patient's recovery experience after surgery is different. Therefore, your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to advise you given that he/she knows your situation best.
Generally speaking, I advise my patients to take 1-2 weeks off.  Those who will return to a desk job will return to work sooner (within 1 week) and those who have more "physical" jobs (such as yourself) may need to return to work a bit later and with limitations.

How long to take off after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. The answer this question may be different for every plastic surgeon based on a number of factors. The technique that is  used, in my opinion, is paramount in how long the recovery will take. In those instances where the only sharp dissection with electrocautery is done, and almost no bleeding takes place, these patients were recover faster than those in which the pocket is made with a blunt, tearing technique. In my experience, most patients having a sub muscular breast augmentation can return to all but the most physical of jobs in 2 to 3 days. If your job requires motions of the shoulder, that move the arms together, which I've seen in the car industry in our state, it may take a little longer but no one more than a week for you to feel comfortable returning to work. every patient's pain tolerances seem to be different and what it feels like nothing to one patient may still be uncomfortable to another. I tell my patients to keep their blood pressure and heart rate normal for up to two weeks. I also tell them to avoid any contact sports in which they could take a hit to the chest wall such as kickboxing, snow skiing, four wheeling and etc. Ask your plastic surgeon what their thoughts are on this topic. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Breast implant recovery - how soon can I go back to work

Thank you for your question about your breast implants.

• It's a good question but it depends on a number of things including - 
  • The size of your implant, whether it goes over or under the muscle, whether Exparel is used for your pain after surgery - and what your job involves as far as upper body work.
  • Too much, too early can lead to poor healing and infection - or pain and taking more time off.
  • Will your employer give you light duty? 
  • If so, take 2 - 3 weeks off and ask for 3 - 4 weeks of light duty - 
  • You can always return to full duty if things go well -
  •  But your own surgeon will give you the best advice, after examining you and planning surgery with you.
  • Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes