Webbed Breasts?

I don't feel comfortable putting out pictures of my breast on the internet so I'll try my best to explain. I have never had a gap between my breast (they kind of look like the "telophase"stage in mitosis). It is like they are webbed or something. I don't think this is common considering the fact that most women have a prominent gap between their breasts, so does anyone know what this might be?

Webbed breasts?

I'm assuming that your center of your chest is a bit full or tethered. If this is mainly fat, then perhaps liposuction can help define the two sides a bit better. Not so easy to improve.

Breast is webbed together.

Some women will have a developmental fullness between the breast which we call symmastia where the breast can seem to run together in the middle. It is most common in those who have a very large breast where the skin can pull down between as well.

Synmastia

There is an entity called "congenital synmastia"which gives the appearance of the breasts being connected in the middle. If this is due to an implant this would be a completely different cure than if you've always had it like you said. I recommend you be examined by board-certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss options for treatment. Good luck. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Webbed Breasts?

Thank you for your question and I can understand your reluctance in sharing photographs. You may have a case of congenital synmastia where there has never been breast separation, or you may have breasts heavy enough that the skin between them has been pulled preventing a cleavage plane.  As there is a wide variation in the size and appearance of women's breasts any surgical procedure recommendation will depend on what a physical exam shows. See an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to discuss the best treatment option to help attain your desired outcome. 

Symmastia

Thank you for your question, and I'm sorry that this appearance is so bothersome to you. Yes, plastic surgeons will encounter this on occasion. There may be a procedure to help you correct this, and would likely involve the addition of a breast implant to provide more projection. An in-person consultation is really the next step. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Options for treating "webbing" of the breasts depend upon the causes

It is difficult to tell for sure from your post whether or not you have breast implants, however, it seems as though the problem you describe has been there all along from the time you developed breasts since you state that that you have "never had a gap" between your breasts.  I like your description of the "telophase stage!"  In any case, what your are describing is probably a condition called "symmastia," in which the breasts approximate too closely, or sometimes touch, in the midline.  Sometimes the attachments of the tissues below the skin to the underlying rib cage and sternum are also very weak, and if the breasts place enough tension on those tissues, they can distract the tissues away from the deeper structures, thereby causing a "webbed" appearance and blunting the normal cleavage.  Depending upon whether you already have implants, or simply have congenital symmastia - something you were born with - will dictate how it might be corrected.  In cases with implants, the solution may be to reposition the implants and reinforce the pockets around them to keep them from returning to the midline, and if there aren't implants, the solution may be to reinforce the attachments of the overlying tissues to the deeper structures to create more definition to the inner breasts and cleavage.  Without any further details or an exam, it is not possible for me to offer more details than this about what such a procedure may entail.  I suggest that you visit with a couple or a few board certified plastic surgeons who have extensive experience in breast surgery of all types, and preferably in correcting symmastia, so that you can be properly evaluated and all of your options can be explained to you.  In addition to being certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, your surgeon should also voluntarily participate in the Maintenance of Certification program administered by that board. This is the best way to know that your surgeon not only has the best training and experience for the procedure, but that he or she has maintained currency in the certification requirements as opposed to practicing on a "lifetime" certificate which has only been reviewed once at the beginning of his or her career. For more information on this you can visit ABplsurg.org or ABMS.org. Good luck.

No gap after breast augmentation

Assuming you have already had a breast augmentation, what you are describing is a condition known as symmastia. In this condition the breasts touch each other in the midline and as you described there is no discernable space between your implants. This diagnosis can only be made in person on physical exam. I suggest you talk to your plastic surgeon and be seen by him or her to evaluate you. The problem can be surgically corrected. If you have not already had breast augmentation then this may be a congenital condition will will require reconstruction to improve.

Best wishes

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Synmastia

Thank you for your question. It sounds as though you are describing synmastia which can be a complication after Breast Augmentation, however in rare cases the breasts can develop this way naturally. I recommend that you meet with a board certified Plastic Surgeon in person to discuss your concerns and talk about options to change what you do not like.

All the best 

Webbed Breasts?

Thank you for your question. Without photos or an examination, it will be difficult for online consultants to give you accurate advice.  Could you possibly have congenital symmastia? 
You can read more about this and see some photos on our website (the link below). I hope this helps.

Webbed Breasts?

Symmastia.  Unsure if you are describing post augmented breasts or just your natural breasts.  If they have implants then you are describing symmastia.  Hope this helps.
Dr Vasisht
South Shore Plastic Surgery

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon