Oral Triazolam for major dental surgery? Will it work? Will I feel and experience everything that is happening?

I asked a question recently about what the typical protocol is for All on 4 surgery. Thanks so the doctors that responded. My dentist told me that he doesn't offer IV sedation, just oral Triazolam. How can he allow a person to be any kind of awake during such a surgery? He said I would be conscious but "out of it" and not care so much. I'm terrified. I want to be put under. Will this drug work? Will I know what is happening? Will I suffer? Why can't I be put under? Should I call of the surgery?

All-on-4 Sedation Technique

Oral Triazolam could very well put you in a deeply relaxed state. Because this drug works on a specific type of receptor in the body, some patients may be resistant to it. Furthermore, it may be difficult to control the effects as would be possible with IV sedation. Another option is to use a multi-drug regimen with IV sedation. Of course, the provider would have to have a special state license in order to perform this. My recommendation for All-on-4 cases is IV conscious sedation.

Oral Conscious Sedation VS IV Conscious Sedation

It is all about patient comfort.  Our office offers both oral conscious sedation and IV conscious sedation and the patient selects what they feel most comfortable.  There are benefits and disadvantages to both procedures.  With IV conscious sedation, we are able to able to keep the patient at a comfortable level throughout long treatments.  Oral conscious sedation is great for shorter procedures but can be used with longer treatments.  With experience, they both work well.  If you have a lot anxiety before you start, its best that you discuss your concerns with the doctor before you start.  That alone might help alleviate unnecessary stress. 

Thomas R. Gonzales, DDS
Las Vegas Dentist

Conscious sedation with triazolam

Conscious sedation with triazolamcan be an extremely effective form of sedation.Patients typically report that they remember very little or absolutely nothing of their appointment, providing  they are given the proper amount of medication. 
if you still have concerns and are sure that you want to be  completely "knocked out", then you may want to have the procedure done by a dentist that provides IV sedation or true general anesthesia. 

I hope that you found this information to be helpful,
Dr. Champagne 

Triazolam sedation is dependent on dose

The degree to which you will be sedated will depend upon how much triazolam you take.  (Yes- it works) You will most likely be completely comfortable for the procedure, but if you have doubts about your dentist's concern for your comfort and anxiety you should seek a second opinion before moving forward with the planned procedure.  There is probably no reason you can't be "put under" with iv sedation if that is your preference, just not with this dentist.

I perform full mouth implants regularly & half of the time I use oral sedation along with the local anesthesia.  This is to reduce anxiety & will make you doze in and out throughout the procedure.  The other half of patients just go with local anesthesia.  Several pictures of my cases are on my Facebook page.  

I have worked with anesthesiologists also & prefer it that way so I can focus on surgery rather than your heart rate, breathing and level of sedation.  In the end it is your level of anxiety that will dictate the level you choose.

Victor Sanz, DDS
Chicago Dentist

Triazolam is not used for general anesthesia.  Typically it is used as a sedation medication to take you to a deeply relaxed state but still awake.  You will not experience as much as you would without it but you will still be somewhat aware of what is happening.  You just won't care as much and you won't remember much of the procedure the next day.  If you want general anesthesia, which is certainly your right, it sounds like you will need to find a different dentist.  Good luck!

Thomas Roberts, DDS
Seattle Dentist