Can I take Diclofen Pot 50mg after my Mommy Makeover to help with pain?

In the past my doctor prescribe me Diclofen for my back pain due to having scoliosis. I only take it whenever I experience real bad back pains. I have a lot left of my 1st bottle and plus two refills. Can I take this after my MM for pain if I run out whatever my surgeon gives me, or in the event the other meds aren't strong enough to help with my pain?

Mommy Makeover and Diclofen

Thank you for your question.  Our office takes post operative pain management seriously.  Our current protocol includes a pain pump, (with numbing medicine), that will instill the numbing medicine in the area for the first three days after abdominoplasty.  Patients typically
move off the pain medicine to Tylenol after a few days.  We try to avoid ibuprofen and aspirin products for a couple weeks post op.  Patients will have some pain, but they typically don't let it get bad until taking something.  Best to contact your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon as each surgeon will approach the operation and the post operative management differently.  

Post-Op Pain and Medications

Hello and thank you for your question. I would say that probably the best thing to do after surgery is to only take the pain medications as prescribed by your surgeon. If they are not doing the thing, then you should return to him for advice on what else might work.

Pain control after mommy makeover

Every surgeon is slightly different when it comes to what type of pain medication can be started at what time. During a tummy tuck, I typically use a long acting anesthetic during sugrery that gives significant pain relief that lasts up to three days. Although there will still be discomfort, the pain is quite tolerable. I typically allow the use of NSAID's such as ibuprofen or diclofenac after 1 week after surgery. It is best to ask your plastic surgeon when and if they are ok with the use of these medications. 

Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Diclofen after surgery

This is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug. These drugs make your platelets not work as well leading to bleeding problems. I have my patients stop all drugs of this class for 10 days before and 3 weeks after surgery. Just because surgery is over doesn't mean you might not have bleeding. In other words, NO.

Karen Quigley, MD

Pain relief

Yes, you should be able to take diclofenac following your surgery, after you have stopped using the narcotic-based medicine. However, your surgeon should be the person to give you a green light to take this medicine. Best of luck with your surgery.

Sheldon Lincenberg, MD