I was wondering what breast implants to consider for my body type? 5'2 and short waisted (Photo)

I'm petite, 5'2, and am totally short waisted. I'm concerned that if I go too big that I will just look top heavy/fat. My goal is soft, natural looking breasts. Also, I'm not a fan of the shape, can a plastic surgeon modify the shape of my breast?

Natural breasts

Moderate plus cohesive silicone gel implants would be ideal for your anatomy. Best of luck for your future surgery.

What type of breast implants?

There is a lot of information that you need to get from your plastic surgeon and there is a lot of information your plastic surgeon will need from you all of which is best done during a personal consultation.  Your breasts are slightly asymmetric but despite this it appears you should have a great result from really any type of implant: saline, silicone, round, or shaped.  All of these will fill out, round out, and enlarge your breasts with slightly different results or looks. One thing I caution short-waisted patients is to not choose an implant that will make you too big or too wide as that may make you look heavier.  Best of luck to you!
Thomas Taylor, MD, FACS
Pasadena, CA

I was wondering what breast implants to consider for my body type? 5'2 and short waisted

Thank you for the question and picture.  Based on your photographs, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery; this operation can favorably change both breast size and shape  to some degree.

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical.
Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup” or "top heavy" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Beast implant size

Thank you for your inquiry and congratulations on considering the breast augmentation procedure periodBased on your picture and your description above, it is not under a reasonable to ask for soft and natural looking breasts. 

With that in mind, you have different options to consider using different implants material, size, and placement.

I recommend that to you schedule a consultation we have a well experienced and board certified surgeon who will provide you with the necessary tools to make an educated decision with which you will be comfortable an extremely satisfied. The best of luck to you.\

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question and photo.  Without an in-person evaluation, I cannot tell you exactly what would be best for you, so you should be seen by a board certified plastic surgeon who is an expert in the breast augmentation procedure.  It is definitely possible for you to achieve a natural look with implants.  If you are unhappy with the shape, you would require a revision that would done by swapping the implants.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Breast implants

I prefer silicone round breast implants.  The size depends on the judgement of your surgeon and the envelope of your native pre operative breasts.  Your surgeon should discuss all the factors to you before surgery, and he/she should have a variety of sizes available at the time of surgery.  A "natural" appearance is the best.
Malcolm Lesavoy, MD

Breast Augmentation

Hi there, thanks for posting your photo. At this point, I suggest consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon, preferably one who is a member of the ASPS. They will do a thorough evaluation and decide what implant and size would best suite your frame. Remember to be open and address any and all concerns with your surgeon to ensure your results are as expected. Best to you. -Dr. Coan

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Best Breast Implants for Short Body Type

It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 350 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the following link:

Breast implants for body type

Hello, your plastic surgeon will be able to help you pick implants that are appropriate for your size and shape by looking at representative photos, having your try on implants sizers, or perhaps using 3D imaging.  You may find that implants alone provide the shape change you desire.  I would suggest discussing your goals with a plastic surgeon.

Every patient's anatomy is different. There are various alternatives that are may produce the best result in the appropriate patient depending on her individual anatomy: Different size implants may significantly improve your asymmetry. But you need to be realistic that a patient starting with your degree of difference in breast size and shape will rarely if ever have perfectly identical breasts post-operatively.

There are currently a wider variety of types and shapes of silicone implants than existed previously. They vary in: outer surface texture, dimensions of width and height, projection, silicone gel densities, as well as volume. The fact that there are more options is confusing to most patients, but beneficial in helping to achieve an optimal cosmetic result for each patient's particular anatomy.
Following the advice of anyone on this or any other website who would presume to tell you exactly what to do based on 2 dimensional photos without taking a full medical history, examining you, feeling and assessing your tissue tone, discussing your desired outcome and fully informing you about the pros and cons of each option would not be in your best interest. Find a plastic surgeon that you are comfortable with and one that you trust and listen to his or her advice. The surgeon should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS). You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person, and try on sizers.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon